We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road Trip

Waynesboro, Virginia
9 posts
Save Topic
Road Trip

My friends and I are planning a road trip from Virginia, where we live, to Connecticut. We want to stop in New Haven, Washington Depot, Hartford, etc. I've done a lot of research on the state and the areas that we want to check out, but I want an insider’s point-of-view. What are the best places in these areas to visit? Are people genuinely friendly? What’s the best way to commute? And what are the most reasonable places to eat and sleep?

We are taking this trip not only for fun, but to get a general idea of life there. We are all three highly considering a move to Connecticut. Any advice is appreciated.

16 replies to this topic
Waynesboro, Virginia
9 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Road Trip

? I have seen the show a couple of times.

Waynesboro, Virginia
9 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Road Trip

Sure does sound like I'm writing from that show huh? I guess I never put the comparisons together of the show and the village I grew up in. I hated living that close to everything when I was a kid. Now it seems practical because you save money from not buying gas. Even visiting CT now seems lame, but I assure you that we aren't moving or visiting for some unrealistic version of life in CT.

suz
Derby, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,683 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Road Trip

Gilmore Girls, although claiming it was filmed in Wash. Depot, was actually filmed in VT or NH -

There are plenty of places you can live and find things in walking distance - but most of those involve being near or in the city and public transportation - the more rural of an area, the less there is available for getting around.

For example, I have a friend who lives in Moodus - nice quiet town, beautiful, an easy commute into Hartford - but the nearest big grocery store is at least a 30 minute drive

Waynesboro, Virginia
9 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Road Trip

Gilmore Girls was filmed in the back lot of Warner Bros in California. However, basing my life on a show or fictional town is unrealistic and silly, although there is a large comparison between the town in the show and the Village of Arcanum that I grew up in. I looked at places closer to the University of New Haven. Milford seems close enough. Any one from Milford? The thing I love about CT from what I've read, is that it doesn't take long to get anywhere in the state. It's close to Boston, which for me is a plus because I'm a huge history junkie, and it's close to NY, which for my friend Jen is a plus because she wants to be a dancer.

suz
Derby, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,683 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Road Trip

I didn't mean the whole show - But the scenic shots that they show are not CT - actually, when I Googled it it seems that they were Canada.

I have not lived in Milford but spent time there - I am CT born and raised, and lived various spots from Stamford to Hamden and back -

Milford is a great town - there is the mall, good shopping and restaurants (although the Post Rd traffic can be bad), a quaint little downtown, the beach - easy access to the train,.... Did you look at West Haven at all? There are some great areas there near the beach - Also Orange.

What you have mentioned is one of the biggest perks of CT -0 you can get from one end of the state to the other in under three hours, and easily be in MA, RI, NY, VT, NH without much thought or planning.

Waynesboro, Virginia
9 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Road Trip

I understand what you are saying now. :) I haven't checked West Haven, but I did apply to the University of New Haven, so it probably would be better to look there. I've seen lots of pictures of CT from the web and friends who've visited.... it appears to be very pretty there and I can't wait to see it. I'm also really excited about being able to go to Boston and NY without traveling hours. It's 9 hours from where I live in VA to NY. :(

Do you have suggestions on places to check out when we visit?

Reply to: Road Trip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Washington Depot
Recent Conversations