We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Late April - Lewes, Rehoboth Beach, Bethany Beach or Fenwick

In cooperation with: Delaware Tourism Office
Chester, United...
Level Contributor
2,700 posts
Save Topic
Late April - Lewes, Rehoboth Beach, Bethany Beach or Fenwick

Are there any particular pros and cons of these towns for a 2-3 day midweek, late April visit? Will things be open? Does the weather vary significantly as you move from the Bay at Lewes to the Ocean at Rehoboth? I expect them all to be pretty quiet then, am I right?

I’m a female, 50+ year old, travelling solo and looking for few days quiet R&R. I’m looking at watching the birds in the State parks, strolling on the beach (yes I’ll warp up warmly), and taking the ferry across to Cape May one day. I’d like somewhere with a couple of nice restaurants for dinner.

Thanks.

Millsboro, Delaware
Level Contributor
1,379 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Late April - Lewes, Rehoboth Beach, Bethany Beach or Fenwick

The weather will be relatively the same, might be a tad warmer in Bethany/Fenwick, but you'll have a long drive to the ferry (see below).

Just go to Lewes: Cape Henlopen State Park should have some birds, and there're beaches there and in Lewes; you'll pass the ferry to Cape May going from Lewes to the park. Lewes restaurants: Gilligan's has what may be the best crab cakes in the world at $30 a pop (but with the pound trumping the dollar, it'll be a pittance for you); Striper Bites is good, as is The Buttery, and we've heard excellent reports on the new restaurant in the lower level of the hotel on Second Street (not sure of the name, it's where The Buttery started out). Lots of nice shops in Lewes, too. Don't know about the hotel itself, but it'd put you withing walking distance of all the shops and restaurants.

Search Lewes, Delaware; there are several websites.

Enjoy!

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
2,700 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Late April - Lewes, Rehoboth Beach, Bethany Beach or Fenwick

Thanks ferd62.

Brandywine Valley...
Level Contributor
1,762 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Late April - Lewes, Rehoboth Beach, Bethany Beach or Fenwick

CheshireCat --

We have friends who were in Lewes for a couple days at New Year's. They stayed at Hotel Blue (which may be the one mentioned above) and loved it. Another nice hotel is The Inn at Canal Square. They heartily recommended Cafe Azafran for dinner. We like Striper Bites for lunch, and The Buttery for dinner. Several other possibilities within walking distance. And it's very close to the ferry (not walking distance though).

Lewes is a cute little town with a thriving main street with boutiques and quaint shops. Bethany ditto, but bigger (and maybe not so quaint; more family-oriented); it's 30 minutes from the ferry. Fenwick is very quiet in April. Rehoboth is the largest town, and fairly busy in April; there's a huge selection of fabulous restaurants. Only Rehoboth and Bethany have boardwalks; Rehoboth's is considerably longer.

The beach at Lewes is OK, but it is the bay, not the ocean. Cape Henlopen State Park is a very short drive, and that's where the ocean meets the bay so there's a nice ocean beach. Also a very interesting, if small, nature center. Lewes has the Zwaanendael Museum; Rehoboth has a brand new museum, too, and the always-interesting Rehoboth Art League.

No significant difference in the weather in any of the places you're considering. If you're lucky, by late April you won't have to bundle up at all -- you could be wearing T-shirts and shorts.

Millsboro, Delaware
Level Contributor
1,379 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Late April - Lewes, Rehoboth Beach, Bethany Beach or Fenwick

Cheshire:

Inn at Canal Square is a good one, didn't think of that before; AND Gilligan's is next door - DO have a crab cake there - the chef/owner wins prizes for her desserts, too.

Temp hit 75 F (23+ C) today, it was beautiful, if a little windy.

Enjoy!

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
2,700 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Late April - Lewes, Rehoboth Beach, Bethany Beach or Fenwick

Yumm - love crab cakes! 75 degrees sound wonderful. Thanks all.

Millsboro, Delaware
Level Contributor
1,379 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Late April - Lewes, Rehoboth Beach, Bethany Beach or Fenwick

Cat:

Here's a link for weather:

www.weather.com/weather/local/USDE0030…

You may have to fiddle with it.

Didn't want to get your hopes up: Yesterday was an exception; 54 F +/- high today.

Do enjoy!

Millsboro, Delaware
Level Contributor
1,379 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Late April - Lewes, Rehoboth Beach, Bethany Beach or Fenwick

I just happened to think: You're coming here, and I'm going to UK (Moray & Orkney) at the end of the month; what a funny thing. Enjoy!

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
2,700 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Late April - Lewes, Rehoboth Beach, Bethany Beach or Fenwick

Just wanted to drop back in to thank you all for the input given to me directly and that I learned from the replies to other posts.

I ended up staying in Rehoboth Beach for 2 nights. Nice town. Lewes was charming too.

Weather was pleasant but coolish (as I'd expected). Fine for strolling along the boardwalk at Rehoboth but there no way you'd want to spend time lying on the beach.

Once warning to others - it is quiet at this time of year. I was there on Wednesday & Thursday last week and I'd say that less than a third of the stores were open and less than a quarter of the restaurants too. So if you want to visit a particular store or restaurant then you'd best check their opening first.

9. Re: Late April - Lewes, Rehoboth Beach, Bethany Beach or Fenwick

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2009, 21:18