We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beaches - Dover

In cooperation with: Delaware Tourism Office
Princeton
10 posts
Save Topic
Beaches - Dover

I would like to know if the beaches are close to Dover, DE. My hotel's website talked about beaches being "just minutes away". But, my web searches don't seem to show beaches that close - seem to be like 45 minutes away.

Thanks in advance for any help....

Brandywine Valley...
Level Contributor
1,755 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beaches - Dover

There are some "beach" communities on the Delaware Bay -- Broadkill Beach and Lewes are probably the largest. (And neither is particularly close to Dover.)

GoogleMap directions from your hotel to 36 Rehoboth Ave, 19971 That's a local pizza place in the heart of Rehoboth, which is Delaware's northernmost ocean beach. It's probably close to an hour.

Delaware
Level Contributor
117 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beaches - Dover

The Delaware Bay is just minutes east of Dover... the village of Little Creek sits on the shore. But the closest true beach, the Atlantic Ocean, is Cape Henlopen which is about a 45 minute drive. I can understand the marketing ploy because in larger cities 45 minutes is probably still considered 'resort area'. But no local would tell you that Dover is minutes away from the beach.

Brandywine Valley...
Level Contributor
1,755 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beaches - Dover

DEtraveler is right, of course, that Cape Henlopen is the closest ocean beach. I should have said that Rehoboth is the northernmost ocean beach TOWN.

4. Re: Beaches - Dover

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 June 2014, 22:15