We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to vacation in Delaware - need your guidance!

In cooperation with: Delaware Tourism Office
Westchester, NY
Level Contributor
35 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Where to vacation in Delaware - need your guidance!

Hi - My husband and I are in our mid-30's and have 2 young children. We are looking to vacation in DE along with my parents and don't have a lot of info about the area. It sounds like there are a lot of family places to vacation in southern DE, but is there anything in northern DE that people would recommend?? We are looking for something fairly sparsely populated (if that exists), with ice cream, a little bit of beach, biking and a few other things to do. The only thing I can compare this to is Narragansett, RI, but again in some areas it's crazy there too. Am willing to wait until late August if that makes a difference. Any help/guidance would be appreciated!! Thank you!

Delaware
Level Contributor
1,602 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to vacation in Delaware - need your guidance!

The beaches are in Southern Delaware. During the season most Delaware resorts are very busy. Off season that is a different story Late September and early October the beach MAY still be usable and the area is not crowded. There are a few very upscale areas with rentals that have private uncrowded beaches.

New York City, New...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to vacation in Delaware - need your guidance!

We are in the same boat, having a hard time finding a place reasonable with enough points of interest to keep us busy. Can you send me some information on Narragansett? We've never been and it sounds like a good option for us!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,471 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to vacation in Delaware - need your guidance!

I agree with Longnecker. If you want the DE beaches and less crowds, off season (September or early October) would probably be ideal. The water is often still warm enough to swim in the few weeks after Labor Day.

Another option, for which you will need to visit the New Jersey boards, would be to pick one of the beach towns WITHOUT a major boardwalk in southern NJ. Places like Avalon and Sea Isle City come to mind. I have been to Sea Isle in August and with the exception of the main "town" area, the rest of the beach is quite quiet.

Oh, and betty m, I think Narragansett is in Rhode Island, although I have never been there myself. You might get better information posting in the Rhode Island forum.

dctravel

Wilmington, Delaware
Level Contributor
121 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to vacation in Delaware - need your guidance!

Have you looked into Bethany Beach in Delaware? They have a little boardwalk and it is not as crowded, but it is a bit more expensive.

5. Re: Where to vacation in Delaware - need your guidance!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2014, 05:17