We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lewes-like beach towns in North Carolina???

In cooperation with: Delaware Tourism Office
Raleigh, NC
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Lewes-like beach towns in North Carolina???

We recently moved from VA to NC. Until last summer, we'd spent several lovely summer weeks in Lewes and very much liked the quaint, quiet, "small town" feel it provided. Even in June, we didn't have to battle huge crowds and long lines (like OC or Rehoboth). We'll certainly miss Lewes!

Now we are in NC and looking for anything similar that is a beach-drive away. The Outer Banks is out of our price range, but other popular destinations are Emerald Isle/Atlantic Beach, Wrightsville Beach, Carolina Beach and others near Wilmington NC.

Has anyone been to any NC beaches which have the quiet, family qualities like Lewes?

Thanks,

cf

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,372 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lewes-like beach towns in North Carolina???

You certainly have a selection to choose from!

I have found most of the the NC beach resorts to be very residential & non-commercial. Certainly quiet and family-oriented, but I have found none that reminded me of Lewes. I would compare Lewes to some of the New England seaport towns. We love it also.

Enjoy exploring the NC coast. Let us know your favorites.

scw
Bear, Delaware
Level Contributor
479 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lewes-like beach towns in North Carolina???

We've never been to Ocracoke Island, but from reading lots of previous OBX forums it sounds like it could meet your needs. We like the commercialized areas of KH/KDH/NH, but I know how you feel about Lewes. My grandparents had a cottage in Broadkill Beach (one beach north of Lewes) and they loved the close-knit, quietness of the area. I couldn't stand the horse flies, mosquitos and toads. Good luck on your search.

3. Re: Lewes-like beach towns in North Carolina???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2009, 04:19
Get answers to your questions about Lewes
Recent Conversations