We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rehoboth & Cape May Shopping, Ferry Ride

In cooperation with: Delaware Tourism Office
PA
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Rehoboth & Cape May Shopping, Ferry Ride

My wife and I are planning a trip but torn where to stay. Our love is dining and shopping, of course we like the beach but we’re only on the beach a few hours a day. We were going to go to Cape May because we’ve never been there but not we’re thinking Rehoboth. We’re worried there won’t be enough to keep us entertained at Cape May as far as shopping goes. It says there are little unique shops here and there but most of the times those are just trinket or souvenir shops. Should we stay in Rehoboth and take the ferry to Cape May for a day or vice versa? Help us!!

How long is the ferry ride?

scw
Bear, Delaware
Level Contributor
479 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rehoboth & Cape May Shopping, Ferry Ride

Besides the little unique shops in Cape May, there is the Washington Square Mall. A closed-to-traffic two block section of town with nothing but shops and restaurants. It will take half a day to visit them. The Cape May Court House area offers a town park & a very large, free zoo. Another half day to tour. There is no boardwalk in Cape May, but RB has a mile long boardwalk and plenty of side streets with lots of shoppes. There is a very large outlet complex on Route 1 outside of Rehoboth. Lewes, just north of RB, has shops to visit and restaurants to dine at. My vote is to stay in RB and take the 70 minute ferry ride over to CM.

Brandywine Valley...
Level Contributor
1,760 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rehoboth & Cape May Shopping, Ferry Ride

I'm not familiar with Cape May restaurants, but it's hard to imagine they'd top Rehoboth's amazing restaurant choices. If you're into fine dining, Rehoboth is the place to be.

Many of the shops in the town of Rehoboth are upscale with high-end merchandise. There are also, of course, trinket and souvenir shops, mostly on or near the Boardwalk. The outlets out on the main highway are, well, outlets, but there are 100+ of 'em. Search Tanger Outlets Rehoboth.

If your base is Rehoboth, you can also spend an afternoon in Lewes, on the Delaware Bay, about 20 minutes north. It's a very quaint little town, which also has a nice little shopping district and some great restaurants.

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,372 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rehoboth & Cape May Shopping, Ferry Ride

The previous two posters pretty much said it all...the only thing I wanted to clarify is that there are multiple large outlet & other malls between Lewes & Rehoboth...with no sales tax, that's a shopper's paradise.

Cape May has great restaurants, but Rehoboth beats them out for upscale variety...something for every type of dining experience. Also, Lewes, though smaller, is somewhat similar to Cape May.

The ferry ride itself is 70 minutes...not counting waiting & boarding. It is much cheaper as foot passengers. You can get a package that includes shuttles to whatever you want to see/do (at either port).

Brandywine Valley...
Level Contributor
1,760 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rehoboth & Cape May Shopping, Ferry Ride

I just realized none of us has asked the OP about planned dates.

We once took the ferry from Lewes as foot passengers, planning to get the shuttle into Cape May. But it was a weekday in early June and it turned out the shuttle wasn't running.

Just FYI, here's the ferry/shuttle info. Timing is everything, as they say.

>> Shuttles begin operating at 11:15 in Lewes and 9:30 in Cape May. Shuttle service runs seven days a week from 6/15 thru 9/30. Weekend shuttle service is provided 5/6 thru 10/29. <<

Any time after Memorial Day will be mobbed on weekends at the DE beaches (and on the ferry), less crowded on weekdays. Don't know how Cape May is in June.

I still think, regardless of when you're visiting, you'll have more shopping/dining choices if you make Rehoboth your base. But if you plan a ferry trip either way on a weekday before 6/15, make sure you research taxis from the ferry terminal.

Delaware
Destination Expert
for Rehoboth Beach
Level Contributor
2,141 posts
1,270 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rehoboth & Cape May Shopping, Ferry Ride

There is a LOT of shopping in the Lewes and Rehoboth area...outlets, small boutique type shoppes, and junk stores. There are 3 Tanger Outlets on Highway One, a bunch of shops on the avenue in downtown Rehoboth (plus Penny Lane and the Village), AND some small shops on 2nd street in Lewes. So, I think that if Shopping is what you want to do...Lewes & Rehoboth are a good bet. PLUS Delaware has no sales tax...which NJ does. So that is another bonus! If you are looking for department stores, like Macy's or Boscov's..you will have to drive to Dover or Salisbury (one hour from Lewes). But, there is one small department store in the Rehoboth Mall..Peebles. There is also a Fashion Bug next door to the Peebles and Walmart.

Lewes and Rehoboth also have a large selection of restaurants...especially if you are going in the summer months (some are seasonal). Most places are independant restaurants in the area, but there are a few chains if you want..such as Applebees, Ruby Tuesday's, Hooters. And the usual fast food (McDonalds, Pizza Hut, Arbys, Wendy's, KFC, Burger King, etc). OR you can go to one of the MANY unique places in town..such as Big Fish, The Buttery, Grotto's, Victoria's, Just in Thyme, The Cultured Pearl, and the list goes ON and On and On...

I would stay in Rehoboth OR Lewes & take a day trip to Cape May, if you want to visit Cape May. Wildwood is also kind of nice..about 10 minutes from the Ferry Terminal in Cape May. They have a beach and boardwalk with rides and waterparks there. It is touristy, but I enjoyed it. Im not real familiar with Cape May itself, since I just usually past through on my way to Wildwood...so maybe another TA member can fill you in more on Cape May.

Hope this helps! Enjoy your trip.

Delaware
Destination Expert
for Rehoboth Beach
Level Contributor
2,141 posts
1,270 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rehoboth & Cape May Shopping, Ferry Ride

The Ferry site says it is a 70 minute ride from terminal to terminal. I did this ride last summer and it took us around 80 minutes. Plus the other poster is right, you will need to allow time for boarding, waiting for the Ferry to leave, waiting for the Ferry to dock, and unboarding. It is kind of expensive, but it is a nice ride. If you like, you can read my review of the Ferry on TA for more info on the Ferry.

Hope this helps.

Bethany Beach, DE
Level Contributor
1,684 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rehoboth & Cape May Shopping, Ferry Ride

We ride the ferry once or twice a month round trip.

The crossings are taking more like 75 to 90 minutes each way.

Best bet if you are going to cross is to buy the return ticket the same time and receive a discount.

The rates go up in April to seasonal rates...check the website.

Good Luck!

8. Re: Rehoboth & Cape May Shopping, Ferry Ride

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2009, 11:19