We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A Good Filet Mignon

In cooperation with: Delaware Tourism Office
Which Rehoboth Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Millsboro, Delaware
Level Contributor
1,364 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
A Good Filet Mignon

Back in the day, we relied on Ken Butler and "Blue" (Both Kings Creek "graduates") at 1776 for the occasional splurge, and were never disappointed. Yes, it was pricey; but we got what we paid for.

Under the new ownership, are the steaks as good? Is "Blue" still there?

Looking for something special for my wife's birthday Monday.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,364 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A Good Filet Mignon

I've never heard anything but praises about 1776, and also that it was a "special occassion" restaurant.

Have always wanted to go but have not as of yet. For the first time ever I've heard their ads on the radio recently. Hoping someone will chime in...(otherwise you will have to go & then report back).

Millsboro, Delaware
Level Contributor
1,364 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A Good Filet Mignon

I guess you're right. It's a tough job, but someone's gotta do it!

Chester County's...
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A Good Filet Mignon

Go for it, Ferd! Whatever you report back, I'll trust your review -- we nightowls need to stick together! (Or are you up early? Gack! Then I'd have to question your judgment.)

We used to love 1776. I remember one year when we celebrated something there and took advantage of their "free limo" offer. It was a wonderful experience, meant we could enjoy the wine list and not worry about driving back to Dewey. And for just the price of a nice tip to the driver, who I remember as being charming.

But that was back in the day when there simply were not many other "fine dining" options in the area, especially this time of year. That has certainly changed! Over the years, we and many others overlooked 1776, and I know that has meant they've struggled. It's just not a great location. (DH got a call the other day from a friend who wanted restaurant recommendations, and he rattled off Eden, Cultured Pearl, Espuma, and Nage --and it hits me that Nage, one of our faves, is also in a terrible location! So that really shouldn't matter.)

If you go, I really hope you have a wonderful time -- do let us know. Assuming you get anywhere on Monday with the snow that's forecast!

Chester County's...
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A Good Filet Mignon

Ferd,

Did you go to 1776? Inquiring minds want to know.

Millsboro, Delaware
Level Contributor
1,364 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A Good Filet Mignon

Wythany of the inquiring mind:

As it worked out, we did not; went to Outback (a friend who frequents the daily Happy Hour at the bar - two for one cocktails and half price apps - christened it "Outhouse") did have the filet and it was OK. Wife and her best friend liked the rack of lamb (can't recall the fourth meal), and the triple dessert was good. As you might guess, it was not up to what we recall of 1776; but then it wasn't as expensive either ($132 for four w/ tip, including one cocktail and one glass of wine).

Don't even know if 1776 was open, what with the snow. We'll go there eventually, and I'll post.

Fred/ferd

Millsboro, Delaware
Level Contributor
1,364 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A Good Filet Mignon

Inquiring minds:

Almost made it to 1776 tonight, but ended up at Saketume instead (came out the back road at Midway, the steering wheel pulled right, wouldn't go straight). Their filet was good, but probably not as good as back in the day at 1776 (although on a price value scale, certainly as good as - $28 including veg). My wife raved about the teriaki scallops and shrimp, and the desserts were quite good.

I suppose we'll be there sometime, will post.

Chester County's...
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A Good Filet Mignon

Fe/Fred --

LOL about the self-directing steering wheel. Thanks for the report on Saketumi. We've wondered about it -- I don't think there are any reviews here yet and we have not talked to anyone who's been. Didn't realize it was a steak place as well as Japanese.

Please do post here -- or as a review -- when you've visited 1776.

Millsboro, Delaware
Level Contributor
1,364 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A Good Filet Mignon

My second time there, her third. Food is very good, but what's with the name (too cutesy)?

Millsboro, Delaware
Level Contributor
1,364 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A Good Filet Mignon

My wife ran into a friend who knows the owners and eats at 1776 often; she says the prices have come down and the steaks are now just as good as before (there were problems early on). We'll go in late April or early May.

Chester County's...
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A Good Filet Mignon

Ferd,

Thanks for the new info. We'll be down for a few days next week, will have to check it out if we get a hankering for red meat.