We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bicycle friendly?

In cooperation with: Delaware Tourism Office
Which Rehoboth Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vienna, Virginia
Level Contributor
58 posts
250 reviews
Save Topic
Bicycle friendly?

We will be traveling with our teens in late August. How bicycle friendly is Rehoboth? We will be staying in the boardwalk area. My kids practice safe riding and always wear helmets, but will they have to ride alongside the normal traffic, or are there seperate bike lanes and sidewalks along the more traveled roads. We wanted to let them have the freedom to ride to places to eat, etc, but if they will not have enough sidewalks and bike lanes, we will just leave the bikes behind.

Delaware
Level Contributor
1,602 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bicycle friendly?

There are some nice bike trails in the State Park. The roads in Rehoboth have no bike lanes and can have heavy traffic in the business areas. In the highway area outside of town it seems we have at least 1 biker killed a year. I would not bring the teenagers bikes.

Delaware
Destination Expert
for Rehoboth Beach
Level Contributor
2,084 posts
1,112 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bicycle friendly?

I do believe some areas have bike lanes (share the road lanes), but not ALL areas have separate bike lanes. You will have to ride alongside normal traffic, even if you are in an area where there is a bike lane. You see people riding bikes all the time on Highway ONE and in the streets around downtown Rehoboth. There are even a couple places in downtown Rehoboth that rent bicycles. But, I personally would NOT want to do it. There is SO MUCH traffic in the summer, that I feel it is somewhat dangerous. If you do ride bikes around town, you must be watchful and use caution. There are lots of cars traveling on and around the avenue. Adults cannot ride bicycles on the sidewalks...for children under 12 it says to check with police for regulations Besides, the avenue is so full of pedestrians at times that you would have difficulty even trying to walk a bicycle through the crowds of people. Plus, it should be noted that bikes are not permitted ON the actual Boardwalk during the summer season unless it is between the hours of 5am and 10am.

However, there are several nice bike trails in the Cape Henlopen State Park should you want to bring your bikes & ride the bike trails. That might be really enjoyable. There is also the Lewes-Rehoboth Bike Trail should you be interested in that.

www.traillink.com/ViewTrail.aspx…

Here is are some links to Bicycling in Rehoboth:

www.cityofrehoboth.com/index.cfm…

www.beach-fun.com/index.cfm…

deldot.gov/information/…SussexMapSide2.pdf

Well, I hope this helps! Have a great & safe trip!

Vienna, Virginia
Level Contributor
58 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bicycle friendly?

Thank you to both posters. I think we will punt bringing the bikes, enjoy long walks on the beach, and drive when needed.

Thank you!!!

Brooklyn
Level Contributor
110 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bicycle friendly?

We brought our bikes to Rehoboth Beach last year and stayed near the boardwalk and intend to do the same this year as we had a great time. We went biking with a toddler in tow and it was fine. We rode to Dewey, Lewes, the State Park and around town exploring. There is a pretty nice bike trail in the area. We avoided the highway. We are from NYC so it did not seem crowded to us at all. We took a ride every morning up and down the boardwalk which is open to bikes til 10am.

Cleveland, OH
Level Contributor
29 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bicycle friendly?

Can someone please describe the bike trail from Lewes to Rehoboth? How long is the ride? Is it safe from traffic? Thanks

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,372 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bicycle friendly?

We love riding our bikes in and around Rehoboth. I would bring the bikes but lay down some rules.

Stay off the main streets and absolutely don't go anywhere near Rt. 1. The earlier you ride on the streets & boardwalk, the better. By 9-9:30 I'd be off BOTH! (at least in the center of town).

There are two sections of Cape Helopen SP that are great for bikeriding, plus a rail-trail that enables you to ride all the way from Rehoboth to Lewes on a very scenic paved path. Gordon's Pond can easily be biked from the Rehoboth boardwalk. The main park (entrance is past the ferry terminal) even has macadamed paths. You can do these rides at any time of the day.

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,372 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bicycle friendly?

It's called the Junction & Breakwater trail, you can google it or click on the link below. It's a little challenging to find the trail from Rehoboth, but once on it it only crosses two roads, neither of which have much traffic.

leweschamber.com/our-town/articles-interest/…

Brooklyn
Level Contributor
110 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bicycle friendly?

the path goes along the road for a bit with very light traffic near some condos then you are in the woods for a long portion, a very smooth wide path. Bring bug spray & sun screen. It's a longish ride but doable.

maryland
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bicycle friendly?

of course, you don't have to do the whole trail, either. you could put your bikes in/on your car & use one of the entrances along route 1 & do as much or as little of the trail as you want to.

i did a couple little walks with my dogs that way...access is behind a couple of the outlets on the east side of route 1. there's a parking area behind the outlets specifically for the trail. i remember that one is behind the eddie bauer outlet...

VA
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Bicycle friendly?

It says "Bikes are allowed on the boardwalk during the hours of 5:00 a.m. and 10:00 a.m. from May 15th through September 15th. Adult bike riders are not permitted on the sidewalks at any time. Children, under 12, please check with police for regulations."

I want to ride on the boardwalk on September 18th. I am not sure I am reading this correctly - can I ride at any time of the day then?

Thank you!