We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

DogFish Head Brewery Tour

In cooperation with: Delaware Tourism Office
Which Rehoboth Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Delaware
Level Contributor
1,602 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
DogFish Head Brewery Tour

Dogfishhead is a small brewery making some interesting beers. They have a restaurant in the 300 block of Rehoboth Ave and a brewery in Milton . Checkout their website at www.dogfishhead.com. If you checkout the beers heading you will see this is not Budweiser.

We just came back fro.m the free tour . They have a factory in which the guide described the brewing process and some of the brews. I found it very interesting .You get "fishes' which can be turned in for free samples. I'm not a beer drinker but found 2 of them interesting enough to buy some to bring home. Tour reservations are recomended and can be made online . From Rt1 take Rt 24 (at McDonalds) out to Rt5 (FoodLion) turn right. After crossing Rt 9 you will go a few miles and see. Mariner Middle School on the right. Just past the school turn right on Chestnut St. Brewery will be on right. Plenty of parking near the tour entrance. It was a great afternoon experience with very relaxed Sussex County people making you feel comfortable. Not the busy resort feeling.

Delaware
Level Contributor
1,602 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: DogFish Head Brewery Tour

Sorry posted the wrong web address above should be www.dogfish.com

Orlando, FL
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
17,129 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: DogFish Head Brewery Tour

mmm, Dogfish Head. Love it.

Am from DE originally.

I am happy to say we can find it here in Florida although we are extremely limited on choices and the prices are ridiculous. I always look forward to going "home" so I can enjoy it more freely. One of these days I'll do that tour. I understood there are maybe some kayak tours or something which include a stop at the restaurant or brewery. Is that right? Anyone done that?

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Annapolis
Level Contributor
632 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: DogFish Head Brewery Tour

Interesting tour and great beer.

Just as a heads u0. If you plan on going on the tour, you should make reservations on their website first. We made reservations for two on the website but ended up with four going. When we arrived it was a busy day and they almost did not allow our extra two to go on the tour (and this was in the offseason - January).

Delaware
Destination Expert
for Rehoboth Beach
Level Contributor
2,084 posts
1,121 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: DogFish Head Brewery Tour

longnecker,

Thanks for the info on the tour. Please consider writing a review too. It will help others who might not read the forums! I might consider taking family there to do the tour. I'm always looking for something to do & it's even better that it's free!

Thanks again!

Delaware
Destination Expert
for Rehoboth Beach
Level Contributor
2,084 posts
1,121 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: DogFish Head Brewery Tour

I was checking the Dogfish Head website & it says you can also do a tour of the BrewPub on Rehoboth Avenue. They offer free tours of it on Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday at 4:30PM.

dogfish.com/community/events/tours/index.htm

Hope this helps!

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Annapolis
Level Contributor
632 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: DogFish Head Brewery Tour

Here is a link to an article that talks about the Dogfish tour and two other small breweries that have popped up on the shore.

baltimoresun.com/travel/…

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,372 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: DogFish Head Brewery Tour

I just took the tour last Saturday. As we pulled in, I was amazed by the size of the place. Not actually built by Dogfish (the building is the former King Cole cannery), it was hard to believe they filled the space & are now outgrowing it.

The new fermentation tanks (already in use but yet to be enclosed) have increased their capacity by 50% (to 150,000 bbls) making Dogfish about the 220th largest brewery (not sure if that's just in the US or world-wide). They are dwarfed by giants like Anheiser-Busch, who can match their yearly output in an eight-hour shift, yet when you visit and see the size of the operation, it's hard to imagine how they can still hold onto their status as a small craft-brewery.

Future visitors will get to enjoy the on-site restaurant/brewpub currently under construction. The current "taproom" is designed only to dispense free samples in a somewhat overcrowded, standing-room-only environment (no stools). You will also have the opportunity to buy beer (to take along) and a wide variety of mostly way-overpriced branded merchandise.

Johnstown...
Level Contributor
634 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: DogFish Head Brewery Tour

Approximately how long does the tour last?

Delaware
Level Contributor
1,602 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: DogFish Head Brewery Tour

The tour itself about 1/2 hour . After that are the 4 free drinks in their taproom which as has been mentioned is a little crowded. So it depends on how long you choose to linger.

10. Re: DogFish Head Brewery Tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 February 2010, 05:17