We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traffic / Italian Restaurant

In cooperation with: Delaware Tourism Office
Which Rehoboth Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cleveland, OH
Level Contributor
29 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Traffic / Italian Restaurant

I am headed to Rehoboth on Saturday for one week. We are staying in Baltimore Friday night. On Saturday morning, how early do I have to leave to avoid traffic driving from Baltimore to Rehoboth?

Also, I will be heading back to Pittsburgh on Saturday Sept 5th. This is Labor Day weekend. What can I do to minimize traffic when headed west? Will I be driving against traffic at this time?

One last question...Any recommendations on an Italian restaurant?

Thanks!

Northern VA
Level Contributor
422 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traffic / Italian Restaurant

I think that many kids are now back at school, or will be next week, so my guess is that the weekly DE shore rentals will be down a bit. That, in turn, should reduce the mad rush on Saturday morning. However, I would definitely favor safe over sorry. Try to leave Baltimore by 8 a.m. at the latest. You should get to the Rehoboth area by 11, which should be ahead of the heaviest traffic on Route 1 right outside Rehoboth as well as backups at the Bay Bridge (Route 50). You will still hit a lot of traffic on Route 1 due to all of the stoplights, outlets, etc.

Note that TS/Hurricane Danny is looking to make Saturday's weather a mess, so once you get to Rehoboth, if you can't check-in until afternoon, you may want to have a plan on what to do, as I don't think heading to the beach will be an option. It could also make traffic worse, so factor that into your departure time.

No idea about traffic from Rehoboth to P'burgh on Saturday. My gut feeling is that holiday = traffic, so I'd leave early and hope for the best.

No recommendations on an Italian restaurant. Do some searches on this board though.

Delaware
Destination Expert
for Rehoboth Beach
Level Contributor
2,082 posts
1,102 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traffic / Italian Restaurant

I would leave Baltimore in the early AM to avoid the rush to the beach. Try to be through Dover, DE by 10am. There may still be some traffic, but will probably be better than the late morning/early afternoon traffic.

Headed away from the beach on labor day weekend probably wont be so bad. It is the traffic that will be headed into Rehoboth on Labor Day weekend that will be brutal. It all depends on what time you are plan on leaving on Saturday to go to Pittsburgh. If you leave in the morning it probably wont be so bad. As the day goes on, more and more people will probably be headed out of town.

There aren't any really great Italian places in town in my opinion. Adriatico is in Rehoboth on 1st street. It has been there a long long time. You might want to check it out. Also there is a place located inside Hotel Rehoboth called Lupo Di Mare Cucina Italiano. They are open for dinner after 5pm. I think they are relatively new, so I cannot comment much more about them, but they have a website if you want to look at the menu. There are plenty of pizza places if you are looking for casual italian: Grotto's and Nicola's are two very popular local legends in that area. Nicola's & Grotto also serve some pasta dishes.

If you want to drive to Bethany Beach, DiFebo's Restaurant has quite a reputation. They were even voted Best of Delaware 2009 by Delaware Today readers for Best Upscale Italian Place located in downstate Delaware. I have never had the pleasure of eating there, but I used to work across the street & always heard rave reviews.

Hope this helps! Have a great trip.

maryland
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traffic / Italian Restaurant

we used to like zebra a lot for italian, but i'll admit it's been a LONG time since we've been there.

we just very rarely eat out these days.

Chester County's...
Level Contributor
1,740 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traffic / Italian Restaurant

Had dinner at Lupo di Mare about a year ago and it was very good. Bistro type food and atmosphere. Tables close together, fairly noisy. But VG food and service.

Millsboro, Delaware
Level Contributor
1,364 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traffic / Italian Restaurant

Two choices for Italian: Adriatico, Rehoboth at First and Baltimore (Don't forget to ask for the crumbled bleu cheese on your house salad - I order the Chicken Adriatico); Preschy's (sp???) at the Midway Shopping Center, near Dover Electric (Everything cooked to order - It may still be BYO, not sure).

Delaware
Destination Expert
for Rehoboth Beach
Level Contributor
2,082 posts
1,102 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traffic / Italian Restaurant

Regarding Italian restaurants, there is also Serendipity (Oak Orchard)and also Villa Rosa (casual dining in Palmer's Shopping Center) near Long Neck as you are heading out route 24 towards Millsboro. Serendipity offers waterfront dining. I will give you a link to the website so you can check it out. Either would be about a 15-20 minute ride from Rehoboth Beach.

http://www.serendipityde.com/

Hope this helps.

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Rehoboth Beach
Level Contributor
566 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traffic / Italian Restaurant

We have lots of different types of Italian here.

For regular ole pizza and pasta, I like Casa diLeo best (in the Henlopen Junction shopping center on Rehoboth Ave Ext near the highway). I also love Louie's pizza near the bandstand.

Everyone has Italian dishes on their menu, too. We have over 100 restaurants in one square mile, so I'm sure you'll find someplace you like.

As far as your traffic question goes, you want to get here by noon to minimize traffic, so you should leave B'More by 8 or 9 AM. Same for your return trip... leave early and you should be ok.

Cleveland, OH
Level Contributor
29 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Traffic / Italian Restaurant

Thanks for all the input! Can't wait to get there tomorrow.

Millsboro, Delaware
Level Contributor
1,364 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Traffic / Italian Restaurant

Daisy:

We ate at Serendipity in May; the food was average at best, and we decided not to go back. As to Villa Rosa (Doesn't it have another name now?), gag me out on the excess garlic - No vampires within miles of that place. It's a shame because we live close to both, but there are other places worth the additional drive time.

Delaware
Level Contributor
1,602 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Traffic / Italian Restaurant

Yes ferd Villa Rosa is now Ciao Bella. There is no comparison to the old Villa Rosa when Joe and Rose owned it.