We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What does Rehoboth need in the restaurant business?

In cooperation with: Delaware Tourism Office
Which Rehoboth Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pennsylvania
1 post
Save Topic
What does Rehoboth need in the restaurant business?

I'm doing research on what the consumer would want in Rehoboth. The best way to get advice is by listening to patron. Please express your opinions on what Rehoboth needs in the form of nightlife, entertainment, food, drink, or anything else you enjoy.

Brandywine Valley...
Level Contributor
1,745 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What does Rehoboth need in the restaurant business?

I wish there were more mid-range restaurants on the Boardwalk with an ocean view. A Jake's or Cafe Sole type restaurant with a view would be great! But even a higher-end place, to have an alternative to Victoria's. We especially miss Salero in the Henlopen, which was several stories up and had fantastic views! (It's still there, just restricted to private events these days.)

Rehoboth also needs more great seafood restaurants that will take reservations! No rezzies at Fins or at Big Fish, two places that set the standards. We've loved our meals at both but usually choose to eat somewhere else, where we won't have an hour-long wait for a table. (But that obviously doesn't make any difference to them . . . they have plenty of patrons who are willing to wait.)

IMHO, the last thing Rehoboth needs is another Japanese/fusion place. The existing ones are for the most part excellent and we can't get to all of them as it is.

Downingtown...
Level Contributor
550 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What does Rehoboth need in the restaurant business?

I wish they sometimes would do an adults only restaurants, I live in Pa and because of the no smoking in restaurants, the kids sit at the bars which drives us crazy, You pay good money for a meal you dont need children running around screaming!

maryland
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What does Rehoboth need in the restaurant business?

i'd wish for a special occasion place in the style of the late lamented chez la mer or wheaton's chop house....more old fashioned food, not so fancy and less complicated or "gourmet" than so many are now. & preferably with outdoor seating for smokers (there are STILL a few of us left! & if i'm going out for my birthday, i sure do like a very leisurely meal with a cigarette or two with my after dinner coffee & amaretto or whatever!) but that's just me.

& i know there are plenty of friendly bars, with bar food...but nothing has quite replaced "sir guy's", which had all that PLUS nice chicken potpie, a really great chicken curry....

that's what I would wish for , but whether those ideas would fly or not is anybody's guess.

(p.s) i'm with bonnie on the kid issue!

Edited: 17 December 2009, 04:17
Delaware
Level Contributor
1,602 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What does Rehoboth need in the restaurant business?

I'd like to see a waterfront restaurant like the Rudder with entertainment catering to the older crowd. And of course the menu going back 20 some years when the old owner had really good food.

Brandywine Valley...
Level Contributor
1,745 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What does Rehoboth need in the restaurant business?

Didn't think to ask the OP whether he's asking about the three months at the height of the season or year-round. That does sorta make a difference, esp. in Dewey.

DerickG, care to expand on your question?

PA & lower DE
Level Contributor
232 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What does Rehoboth need in the restaurant business?

I am interested in seeing how the Green Turtle will do. New location being built on the second floor of a building on the boardwalk. Love Green Turtle and they might have a great view of the ocean. I like the idea of bringing something new into rehoboth, but where are you going to put it? Just about every place and land is used up now. I like the idea of a new seafood restaurant. You can go to Jakes, Fins and Big Fish so many times.

Clifton, VA
Level Contributor
314 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What does Rehoboth need in the restaurant business?

I think there are too many "fusion"-type restaurants and not enough that feature good "ordinary" food at a reasonable price. My wife and I have been going to Dewey/Rehoboth every year since 2003, and at first we gravitated to all the upscale fusion restaurants. After a while, we just got tired of them......too fussy. too contrived, and too expensive. Now, we gravitate toward the more straightforward places (not necessarily inexpensive, but just not fussy.) A trip to DiFibo's in Bethany is a must, as is Azafran in Lewes, and always a pizza at Casa DiLio's.

Amherst, New...
Level Contributor
56 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What does Rehoboth need in the restaurant business?

Yes, I agree, WAY too many fusion, bourgeois, and nuevo-cuisine restaurants dotting the downtown and rt. 1 landscapes, but also some very good down-home places, even "chain" style restaurants have got it more together, surprisingly., than some of the upscale restaurants. I like Big Fish Grille, the mexican restaurant on rt. 1 (can't recall the name), Crackerbarrel is a neat family experience. I absolutely love the tiny fish monger at Rehoboth Seafood, also on rt. 1. He's got great seafood, prepared (crab cakes, soups, etc), fresh caught, and simply dressed. I also like the classic places like Royal Treat (and I'm beffudled because I can't think of any more that haven't gone out of business), but also Crabby Dicks and all those other seafood shack-type places where you can get a bushel of crabs without handing over your wallet.

maryland
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What does Rehoboth need in the restaurant business?

la tonalecta is the mexican one on route 1 - VERY good!

YEP, too much "fusion & overly fancy".

we had some nice lunches this past week...one at Finbar's, one RealLY excellent at "Fins" - my blackened red snapper sandwich was SUPERB!

GOOD slider sampler at bethany blues, and a decent fish stew & brown bread at stoney lonen.

ok...we also had a nice chinese dinner at "confucius". VERY upscale & expensive for chinese, though. i'm thinking what rehoboth needs most isa GOOD , moderately priced chinese place! which i have yet to find.

Delaware
Destination Expert
for Rehoboth Beach
Level Contributor
2,084 posts
1,117 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What does Rehoboth need in the restaurant business?

Dogmom,

Have you tried the Shanghai China Buffet behind the Roadhouse? It is pretty good. The prices are not bad considering it is a large buffet that includes chinese, american, dessert, ice cream, and a grill--all for one price. You can even get a steak from the grill (no additional charge). The lunchtime prices are more my speed, but the dinner pricing is not bad considering the variety. I posted a review with lots of photos if you are interested.

DerickG,

Personally, I would like a place to get a great burger. Five Guy's is OK, but a little greasy for me. OR maybe a nice casual family restaurant that has a large variety. A good diner with good prices & food. Maybe some southern style food. Cracker Barrel is good, but we could use some more real southern cookin' in the area.

Hope this helps