We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rehoboth during punkin chunkin

In cooperation with: Delaware Tourism Office
Washington, DC
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Rehoboth during punkin chunkin

We scheduled a weekend trip to Rehoboth and just found out punkin chunkin will be going on that same weekend. Will Rehoboth be crowded and full of drunk people? (that is my general impression of people who attend punkin chunkin - based on what several friends who have attended have told me).

This is supposed to be a relaxing weekend away, so crowded and lots of drunk people is not what we're looking for. What do you think, will it be crowded?

Delaware
Destination Expert
for Rehoboth Beach
Level Contributor
2,205 posts
1,308 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rehoboth during punkin chunkin

HI,

No I do not think it will be overly crowded. The Punkin Chunkin is not IN Rehoboth. It is in Bridgeville, DE, which is about 30-40 minutes from Rehoboth. I have been to Rehoboth during the chunk & didn't think it was overly crowded.

Hope this helps.

Mentioned in this post
Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,377 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rehoboth during punkin chunkin

As Daisey notes, the "Chunk" is nowhere near Rehoboth, and since many of the "die hard partiers" either camp on site or come in buses just for the day, I doubt you will notice much of an impact on Rehoboth Beach that weekend, other than possibly a few "Punkin' Chunkin' " T-shirts.

Incidentally, the "Chunk" is much more than simply an opportunity for young people to overindulge; the crowd on Sunday is usually much more attentive to the competition (and most of the "party 'til you drop" camp have done just that!). That is the only day I would suggest for young families.

We have taken many of our out-of-town friends to "Punkin' Chunkin' " over the years, and most enjoy it enough to return year after year.

www.punkinchunkin.com

Edited: 15 October 2011, 14:10
Carlisle, PA
Level Contributor
4 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rehoboth during punkin chunkin

We were at The Chunk on Saturday, and spent the night in Rehoboth. The bars and restaurants weren't packed, and the streets were empty. It was grand.

Annapolis, MD
Level Contributor
2 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rehoboth during punkin chunkin

We went to the chunk on Saturday. By the end of the day all of the outhouses and trashbins were disgustingly overflowing. You recommend attending on Sunday--Do they get all that mess cleaned up overnight? I wouldn't want to go on a Sunday unless they do. It was a real experience to brave the privvy at 5pm on Saturday. The fireworks at 6:30 were pretty cool though.

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,377 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rehoboth during punkin chunkin

Busy, I can't reassure you....

I don't mean to criticize the organizers, because it must be an enormous job to pull off such an event, but despite the recent influx of kiddie rides, anyone expecting "the Chunk" to be a "Disney-esque" squeaky-clean family atmosphere is in for a "wake up call."

The multi porta-potty "stations" are always woefully inadequate, resulting in long lines all day (but note there are never any lines at the plentiful infield job-jonnies!). As you can verify, this over-use results in a pretty disgusting situation by late afternoon. You would think after 25 years of experience, they would have remedied this, but it has become so expected that some regulars actually bring their own "accomodations."

As for the trash, it's party the lack of adequate receptacles, but also due to the inclination of some "patrons" to simply drop their trash on the ground, even when a few feet from a bin. No recycle bins either.

You're correct: while Sunday may be the best day for actually watching the competition, Friday would be much better for sanitary issues.

6. Re: Rehoboth during punkin chunkin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 November 2012, 05:18