We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Driving Directions from Buffalo, NY

In cooperation with: Delaware Tourism Office
Which Rehoboth Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Buffalo
Level Contributor
49 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Best Driving Directions from Buffalo, NY

We've never been to the Delaware Beaches before, but this year we've booked a house in Broadkill Beach, just north of Rehoboth. When we first went to the Outer Banks, we were not prepared for the horrendous traffic leading there, so i would love to get the facts about driving to Rehoboth ahead of time. If you know of certain areas to avoid or routes to take, please share this with me! I'll have a four year old and a one year old in the car, so the quicker we can get there, the better! :) We're coming from Buffalo, NY. Thanks for your time and expertise!

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,082 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Driving Directions from Buffalo, NY

can't give any better advice than mapquest and once you get to wilmington, DE, there is really just one way to get there. traffic is not as bad as OBX but if you can arrive at an off hour....

Brandywine Valley...
Level Contributor
1,745 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Driving Directions from Buffalo, NY

anatresia,

I've driven to Buffalo twice in the past 5 years. I just Google-Mapped Buffalo -> Broadkill Beach, and the three suggested routes are all pretty much the same length of time. Route 15, along the Susquehannah, is pretty but there are sections where it's only one lane in each direction.

As neslaw1 said, the last leg of your trip pretty much has to be State Route 1. That can be very congested at the beginning and end of the summer weekends.

The good news is you're not really going all the way to the ocean beaches, so you'll miss the worst of the traffic. (I assume you know that Broadkill Beach is on the Delaware Bay. It's 20-30 minutes, depending on traffic, from Rehoboth. Google Maps calls it 17 miles/33 minutes.)

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Rehoboth Beach
Level Contributor
582 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Driving Directions from Buffalo, NY

My main recommendation if you want to avoid traffic is to do your drive on Sunday through Thursday if possible and try not to hit the cities during rush hour (Allentown, Wilmington, Dover, etc). Other than that you should be fine. Like the other post says, you just take route one down from Wilmington (pretty simple)... it will be about 90 minutes south from Wilmington. Have a good trip.

Wilmington, DE
Level Contributor
844 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Driving Directions from Buffalo, NY

I certainly can symphathize with the OBX experience. Our first time was 4 July weekend. We almost gave up!

Going to Broadkill will not be ANYTHING like that.

Tthe only real option is DE RT1 off of 95 south of WIlmington. It is toll road until you get to Dover. Going to Broadkill you will be off of Rt 1 before the worst of the traffic backups!

Wilmington, DE
Level Contributor
844 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Driving Directions from Buffalo, NY

OH....also forgot.......the interchange of I95 and DE RT 1 can be nightmare from volume and construction. If you want to avoid it, get off 95 at Exit 5. Look for Rt 41/141 South. Take that about a mile or two. Go south on US RT13. (Airport will be on your right). Follow signs for 13 South / DE Beaches. This will run you into DE RT1 and you're on your way.

Broadkill Beach will be off to your left a short while after you pass Milford. Watch for it. Its not a big intersection or anything.

Buffalo
Level Contributor
49 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Driving Directions from Buffalo, NY

Thank you for your responses. I do know that Broadkill is further north, on the bay. I just didn't think their forum would have a lot of responses- it seems like a small town.

I'm very excited to see the Delaware beaches this summer and it's a relief that we probably won't experience anything near the nightmarish level of OBX traffic! Thanks again!

7. Re: Best Driving Directions from Buffalo, NY

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 May 2013, 10:18