We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

close airport?

In cooperation with: Delaware Tourism Office
Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
111 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
close airport?

We are having a family reunion in Rehoboth Beach. Any advice on which airport to choose coming from Oregon?

Wilmington, DE
Level Contributor
863 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: close airport?

There is just a few miles difference between using Philadelphia (PHL) or Baltimore (BWI) . Compare the two ..there can be savings on BWI for service in the West. About 2 hrs from BWI and 2 hrs 20 mins from PHL. Both are going to have issues with traffic dependig on day of arrival.

One other possible is New Castle Airport (ILG) outside Wilmington. About 2 hrs drive. Frontier provides a limited schedule through Midway and Denver.

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
111 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: close airport?

Much obliged. Sometimes its hard to tell from a map.

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Rehoboth Beach
Level Contributor
621 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: close airport?

I've lived here for 13 years and travel frequently; I use PHL because there is a highway between here and there. With BWI it's a lot of back roads. I used to always do BWI, but for out of towers, PHL is a better choice.

Delaware
Destination Expert
for Rehoboth Beach
Level Contributor
2,106 posts
1,248 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: close airport?

Hi,

Most people choose BWI or PHL. For a large aiport, I would choose Philadelphia. In case you are interested there is a small airport in Salisbury, MD: Salisbury-Ocean City Wicomico Regional Airport SBY. It offers commuter flights.

Hope this helps.

Brandywine Valley...
Level Contributor
1,756 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: close airport?

There is also a small possibility that you could fly into Wilmington, Delaware (ILG). One airline -- Frontier -- serves it, very limited service. But I know one of the nonstop destinations is Denver. That might work for you.

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,372 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: close airport?

What CloneJessie said. In summer months, the drive between BWI & Rehoboth (& back) is not something to look forward to. And I think the drive times quoted above are sans traffic.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,470 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: close airport?

If you have folks who can get there, Atlantic City is just a short drive and ferry ride from the DE beaches. There are limited flights there, however. Another option would be Trenton, NJ. Frontier flies there as well and it is roughly the same distance as Philly.

dctravel

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Rehoboth Beach
Level Contributor
621 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: close airport?

Trenton NJ is at least 45 minutes farther than PHL.

9. Re: close airport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 January 2015, 05:17