We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking for beach day

In cooperation with: Delaware Tourism Office
Massachusetts
9 posts
Save Topic
Parking for beach day

Hi there.

My family and I will be traveling to Rehoboth Beach next week for the very first time. There are 11 of us (including toddlers) and we are renting a house about 1 mile from the beach. While we technically could walk to the beach, it will prove to be difficult with little legs so I think we will drive to the beach most days. We will be getting parking passes through the rental office, but I was looking for more information regarding the ease of finding parking near the beach.

Are there any lots near the beach where we can park for the day or are we limited to on street parking?

I understand many spaces are metered, but do they run long enough for us to park there the entire day without having to run back to the car to put more quarters in?

Any streets or areas that you would recommend for us to find a spot easily? We tend to get to the beach around 9:00 most days...

Overall, what is the frustration factor with parking in Rehoboth?

Thanks for any and all feedback!!

Brandywine Valley...
Level Contributor
1,760 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Parking for beach day

This is the most current information available on Rehoboth parking: www.cityofrehoboth.com/index.cfm… Be sure to familiarize yourself with the parking map -- it will help you understand the various types of parking, from metered to permits.

If you're a mile from the beach, I'm guessing the "parking passes" you're receiving from the rental office may be for the community where you're renting, rather than anything to do with downtown Rehoboth parking. But you should double-check.

I would strongly encourage you to use the Park and Ride described on the Rehoboth parking site. It is so easy and hassle-free.

One other alternative would be to visit Delaware Seashore State Park, just south of Dewey Beach on Route 1, destateparks.com/park/…index.asp Darned if I can find any info on parking, but I think it's a lot closer to the beach than it might be if you drove around looking for a parking space in Rehoboth. There's a fee -- $20 for 3 daily passes for out-of-state visitors.

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Rehoboth Beach
Level Contributor
627 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Parking for beach day

Hi Lauren: Wow a group of 11 people...whew... that sounds like a lot of work. Assuming your rental is within the city limits, your parking pass will likely be a hang tag which will entitle you to park at any non-metered spot at any time for any length of time.

https://imageserv11.team-logic.com/mediaLibr…

is the link to the city's parking map. The white streets are the ones where you will be able to park with the permit. There are more spots on the south side of town (meaning south of Rehoboth Avenue), but I think the north side is nicer (I'm partial to the north side since I live there).

You can try New Castle, Stockley, Norfolk, etc on the south side, and also try Pennsylvania, Oak and Park on the north side to decide which you prefer. If you go at 9 AM, you'll have your choice; there will be lots to choose from. The non-metered spots require the permit from 10 AM to 5 PM, so there is a lot of turnover at 10 AM. The early morning beach & dog walkers will be leaving between 9 & 10, and the best spots will open up.

There are two public parking lots in Rehoboth, but your permit will not work at either one. Deauville Beach is the City Beach with a parking lot ($7 per day to park) and Gordons Pond Cape Henlopen State Park is the other ($8 a day to park). Both are listed on the map link above.

If you have a parking permit, then there should be no reason to use a metered spot. If you choose to park at a meter, you can refill it every two hours using the Park Mobile app. Some spots will require you to move the vehicle after a certain amount of time, but it is random and based on shopkeeper requests to the city as to which spots require turnover. The nonmetered spots are better for beachgoers. The metered spots are better reserved for shoppers and diners.

I think people get frustrated with the parking when they can't park right in front of where they want to go. There is ALWAYS parking available in town (even on Fourth of July), it's just a matter of how far you are willing and able to walk.

I have to disagree with Wythany about the Park & Ride. For a group your size, I think the Park & Ride is not a good option. You will be carrying a lot of stuff for the kids, and riding the bus with all that junk and kids is not practical. Wythany also recommends DE State Parks (which is also $8 per day to park). If you have someone who is unable to cross the dune, then this might be a good choice as the parking is right near the beach, but it's a few miles south from Dewey, which would be a 10 to 20 minute ride for you. Again, I don't see the need for that in your case.

Be sure to report back and let us know how your week went!!

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Parking for beach day

If you do not want the to be on the boardwalk I would say Deaville Beach which is just north of the boardwalk or further north, the Gordons Pond section of Cape Henlopen State Park. Big lots with nonmetered pay parking. Otherwise pay the parking meters.

Massachusetts
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Parking for beach day

Wow! Thank you so much for your responses. They are incredibly helpful. This trip has taken a great deal of planning, and we are ready to have some fun! I will be sure to report back after our trip and let you know how it went. Thanks again!

5. Re: Parking for beach day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 August 2015, 06:16