We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

a decent motel?

In cooperation with: Delaware Tourism Office
Lancaster...
Level Contributor
12 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
a decent motel?

My husband and I will be passing through Wilmington this Saturday night on our way to NC and are looking for a decent motel to stay at. We want somewhere cheap since we aren't getting in until midnight and checking out in the morning. I'm not concerned with internet access or other amenities. Mostly we want an affordable place in a safe neighborhood. I almost booked a room at the Motel 6. Thankfully I read a review about what a bad section of town it is in. Armed guards at the entrance? Yikes. Can anyone recommend a safe/cheap hotel? Thanks!

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,373 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: a decent motel?

Columbia is pretty close to Wilmington...you will pay metro-area prices...maybe go a bit further & save a bundle...much lower motel prices in VA

Brandywine Valley...
Level Contributor
1,762 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: a decent motel?

The Days Inn is not at all in a bad part of town. It's right near several big shopping complexes that serve nice suburban developments. That doesn't mean it's a good choice, tho. I read several reviews and while I didn't see anything about guards, there were reports of bedbugs.

I assume you'll be on I-95? If you decide to drive a little farther, you can find something close to the interstate in either Newark, DE, or Elkton, MD.

Newark, DE
Level Contributor
217 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: a decent motel?

If you can drive 1/2 hour past Wilmington, take exit 1B into Newark. There's a Howard Johnson's w/ a Friendly's Restaurant on your immediate right.

Go a little further, and at the 2nd light and you'll see an Embassy Suites ($$$) and a Sleep Inn ($$) There's a TGIF within easy walking distance of both.

The Sleep Inn has a little continental buffet, don't know about the Embassy suites. Any of these hotels should be fine for a brief overnight stay.

scw
Bear, Delaware
Level Contributor
479 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: a decent motel?

Stay out of Wilmington hotels ($$$$) and don't pick any along Rt 13 near New Castle. Newark or Dover would be the best bet.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
126 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: a decent motel?

Probably aittle late to help you but there are some clean hotels in Aberdeen.

6. Re: a decent motel?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2009, 10:22