We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 nights stay

In cooperation with: Delaware Tourism Office
Jersey Shore, New...
Level Contributor
1,156 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
1 nights stay

going to a concert at the Justinson Park and need a place to stay for one night. Heard not such good things about Downtown Wilmington. and would want the car safe and do dinner afterwards so walking may be what we want to do. If we choose Courtyard up in Brandywine is that too far? Would we be able to get a cab to the park? I know NOTHING about Wilmington. Thanks

Delaware
Level Contributor
156 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 nights stay

What is the address of the Courtyard by Marriott that you are considering?

Jersey Shore, New...
Level Contributor
1,156 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 nights stay

Oooops its a Doubletree and its in the high 4000's Concord Pike. I think we are going to stay there but now concerned about Public Transportation (bus, taxi, shuttle, etc.) down to the Park. We don't want to have to worry about driving or parking down there.

Brandywine Valley...
Level Contributor
1,760 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 nights stay

What's the date and time of the concert?

It's Justison Park. The hotel where you're thinking about staying is fine, but nowhere near Downtown Wilmington where the concert is.

You probably should forget about public transportation. Wilmington's DART system isn't all that great. But work it out at dartfirststate.com/information/…ncco2008.pdf

If you're driving to Wilmington for the concert, would definitely recommend you drive to the concert from your hotel. My impression is that parking at night, particularly on weekends, is not a problem at all. (Which perhaps speaks volumes about the area.)

You cannot possibly walk from any hotel on Concord Pike to Justison Park -- it's miles and miles and miles of pedestrian-unfriendly roads.

Do you know you can use Google Maps for not just driving directions but also walking directions? If you really want to walk to the concert, stay in downtown Wilmington. Plot the concert location, look for nearby hotels, read the reviews here on TA.

You could walk to Justison Park from the Hotel DuPont, one of the nicest hotels on the east coast. But frankly I'd take a cab back to the hotel after the concert. Put a couple of Wilmington cab companies into your cell phone memory, and call for a cab ride at the end of the concert.

Jersey Shore, New...
Level Contributor
1,156 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 nights stay

Excellent information....thank you very much!!!!

I was aware you couldn't walk to Justinson from the Doubletree but thought there might be public transportion to the River Walk area. I've done some research and even google earth'd the area and there does look like there is plenty of parking if I'm looking at the right Park (next to the ball stadium?) That's the only place I can see that may have a bandstand.

The concert is an all day affair from Noon to 8 and I will be driving down from NJ...I guess we can go straight to the concert area and NOT check in until after the concert but we planned on having dinner out before we head back up to the Doubletree so that would mean a really LATE check in. Ah, I'll figure it out. I think the Doubltree is our best bet and they have good rates for May! The Riverwalk looks quite nice. Is it as nice as the pics show?

Thanks again!

Wilmington, Delaware
Level Contributor
4 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 nights stay

I agree with Wythany. As a Wilmington resident (who moved from Philadelphia) I can guarantee you that your car will be safe down at Juttison Landing. Driving around Wilmington is very easy and nothing is much more than 15 minutes drive away. The river walk is lovely and there is now a wonderful nature center open at the end. The Delaware Art Museum is easily accessible by car and has a wonderful sculpture garden and the best pirate paintings you've ever seen! Wilmington is just beautiful this time of year and a wonderful destination! Enjoy!

Wilmington, Delaware
Level Contributor
4 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1 nights stay

I agree with Wythany. As a Wilmington resident (who moved from Philadelphia) I can guarantee you that your car will be safe down at Juttison Landing. Driving around Wilmington is very easy and nothing is much more than 15 minutes drive away. The river walk is lovely and there is now a wonderful nature center open at the end. The Delaware Art Museum is easily accessible by car and has a wonderful sculpture garden and the best pirate paintings you've ever seen! Wilmington is just beautiful this time of year and a wonderful destination! Enjoy!

Delaware
Level Contributor
156 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1 nights stay

hI, Artwatcher and Wythany gave you accurate information and good suggestions. I think you may find this sites to be helpful. www.riverfrontwilm.com . Take a look at the event sections to see if there are other events also at the time of your concert. There is a lot going on in May, such as ball games, graduations, etc. You shouldn't have a problem parking in that area, unless there is too much going on! Also, the Doubletree on Concord Pike ( route 202) is a nice place and surrounded by many restaurants. That Doubletree does have a shuttle, but I am not sure how they use it. For a restaurant recommendation, I like the Corner Bistro on Silverside Road just off 202. www.mybistro.com. In that same area on 202 is Lucky's Coffee Shop- a fun and funky diner. Next to the Doubletree on 202 is Scrimmages, a sports restaurant and bar that I feel comfortable in and like their food. If you want to eat on near the Riverfront, try Iron Hill Brewery. Good luck and enjoy Wilmington.

Jersey Shore, New...
Level Contributor
1,156 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1 nights stay

Thank you all again! I've seen writeups about Luckys and Corner Bistro. I will choose one of those for breakfast Sunday morning. Looking at a map I probably will be taking the Delaware Mem. Bridge over and that will bring me closer to the park than the hotel so I guess we will park there then drive up to the hotel after the concert. I also found a Quality Inn & Suites on Concord Pike for less money and TripAdvisor has good reviews on it. Its a smidgen closer also (4000 Concord Pike).

Where is that museum with the Pirates? My husband Loves pirates, LOL!!!

Again, you've all been soooo helful, Thanks!

Jersey Shore, New...
Level Contributor
1,156 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1 nights stay

Oh and Hubs wants to eat at Joe's Crab Shack...we have one here in NJ but its an hour away and have not gone yet.

2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 1 nights stay

The Delaware Art Museum (delart.org, open on Sun 12-4) is Pirate Central. It is a 15-20 min drive from your hotel.

We'll be at the concert, too -- hope everyone comes out -- it's a great lineup! (lightupthequeen.org)