We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overnight in Wilmington. Need dining recommendations

In cooperation with: Delaware Tourism Office
Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
250 posts
122 reviews
Save Topic
Overnight in Wilmington. Need dining recommendations

My husband and I will be overnighting in Wilmington at the Sheraton Suites downtown (Pricelined so can't change) after dropping our daughter in Cambridge MA. Looking for suggestions for casual but good food (we won't have dress clothes) open SUNDAY evening for dinner and good breakfast either in Wilmington or headed on the road toward Richmond VA for Monday morning.

scw
Bear, Delaware
Level Contributor
479 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Overnight in Wilmington. Need dining recommendations

You can't get any more center city Wilmington than this. You are in the corporate center of the state. Since you want casual, I recommend heading to the Riverfront. Joe's Crab Shack, Iron Hill Brewery and Big Fish are the big 3 there. Trolley Square has some nice, trendy places, too. I can't think of anywhere to recommed for breakfast, except the hotel restaurant. or some stops along I-95 or Rt 13 on the way home. Safe Trip!

Wilmington, Delaware
Level Contributor
336 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Overnight in Wilmington. Need dining recommendations
Delaware Tourism Office What's this?

Other favorites to consider include Washington Street Ale House, Chelsea Tavern, Big Fish Grill and Iron Hill Brewery. Kid Shelleen's used to serve a great brunch - haven't been in years but I have nothing but sweet delicous memories of the meal :)

Content provided by Delaware Tourism Office: visitdelaware.com
Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
250 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Overnight in Wilmington. Need dining recommendations

Thank you. Probably leaning toward Washington St Ale house if we don't want to get back in the car or Iron Hill Brewery or Kid Shelleen's if we do. Chelsea Tavern doesn't appear to be open on Sundays. We'll just have to wing it.

Thanks again. Still open to any nearby breakfast places for a weekday morning.

Wilmington, DE
Level Contributor
873 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Overnight in Wilmington. Need dining recommendations

Considering where you are staying....I'd suggest either the hotel restaurant or something on the road. Dont know how you feel about chains but there is a Bob Evans off the Rt 273 exit a few miles south of Wilm or a Cracker Barrel at the first exit (Elkton) after you cross into MD . Thats about 15 miles.

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
250 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Overnight in Wilmington. Need dining recommendations

Sounds good. Not crazy about paying inflated hotel prices for breakfasts that usually aren't very good. Cracker Barrel it probably will be.

Delaware
Destination Expert
for Rehoboth Beach
Level Contributor
2,141 posts
1,278 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Overnight in Wilmington. Need dining recommendations

I would recommend Cosmos's Diner on Maryland Ave. They have great breakfast that is available ALL day. They also have good diner food...hot open faced sandwiches, gyros, seafood, pasta, etc. It is afforadable, yet nice. I also like Café Napoli on Kirkwood Hwy. They offer HUGE portions of good Italian food at decent prices. IF you are searching for pizza, try Grotto's Pizza...the "legendary taste" for Delaware beaches. There is a location in Wilmington near Union St.

Headed South on I-95: You could always stop at the Cracker Barrel or Waffle House in Elkton, MD. If you are going 13 south to Route 1, then the Waffle House in Smyrna, DE. If you want to eat where the locals eat for breakfast, try Guilday's on Route 40 between Bear & Elkton, MD. You can get off I-95 right before the MD/DE line tolls and be there in 5-10 minutes.

Hope this helps.

Edited: 14 August 2013, 15:57
7. Re: Overnight in Wilmington. Need dining recommendations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2014, 07:18