We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lunch in Boca for a family of 5?

Which Boca Raton hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Malinta, Ohio
Level Contributor
25 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Lunch in Boca for a family of 5?

Hey all,

I'll be in the Boca area for a day in June with my wife and 3 kids, ages 9-12. We're going to be snorkeling/playing at Red Reef park, but I thought we'd head into town for a lunch break (and I'm sure the wife will want to do a bit of shopping). Any recommendations for good in a very casual setting? Oh... and there's gonna have to be beer for dad since mom's gonna shop. ;)

Thanks,

Matt

Boca Raton, Florida
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Lunch in Boca for a family of 5?

Well, if the wife is going shopping in Town Center Mall there are a some good casual restaurants in the mall. But if those don't sell beer you could head out to Brewzzi's just East of the mall in Glades Plaza. They are advertised as an Italian American Bistro and Microbrewery. There is also Duffy's Sports Grill just South of the mall on St Andrews. Duffy's opens around 11am and comes highly recommended.

Malinta, Ohio
Level Contributor
25 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lunch in Boca for a family of 5?

Actually, I wasn't thinking "mall" shopping... just a bit of poking around downtown Boca. My map program shows a ton of restaurants on US-1 between Spanish River Blvd on the north and E Camino Real to the south, kinda close to Red Reef Park. That way we can hop out of the water, get some lunch, act like tourists, then head back to the Reef to finish off the afternoon.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,868 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lunch in Boca for a family of 5?

I might suggest www.bajcafe.com just off Federal Highway and Palmetto Park Rd. map on their site should make it easy to find.

Haven't been there in a while , but casual with good Mexican food- some think the best in the area. I like the fish tacos, but they have wide variety!

I really can't think of anything at Mizner Park that sounds right- most of that is a bit trendy and ( I think) overpriced.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,868 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lunch in Boca for a family of 5?

Bad typo in that link- sorry- here's the good one:

http://www.bajacafe.com/

boca raton, fl
Level Contributor
49 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lunch in Boca for a family of 5?

I agree, Baja Cafe is very good if you like mexican and it is a very casual setting. Royal Palm Plaza has a place called Coal Mine Pizza. They have outdoor seating and brick oven style pizza. There is a lot of boutique shopping there. Don't know your price range for shopping, kind of upscale but the restaurant is reasonable.

boca raton, fl
Level Contributor
49 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lunch in Boca for a family of 5?

Also, tought of another idea. Deerfield Beach is the next town south. It is a small beachside area with a lot of outdoor restaurants right on the ocean with outdoor seating. The only shopping there is tourist type stores but it is lively and a nice place to be if you want that real beach atmosphere. Another place is Delray Beach which is one town to the north. Very boutique type stores on Atlantic Ave with a ton of restaurants as well. This is a little more refined. Just depends on what you are looking for.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,868 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lunch in Boca for a family of 5?

I forgot Coal Mine , which would be good- as long as your family can handle a coal fired pizza, which has ( on purpose) burnt edges and a sort of smoky taste. I love them , but another coal fired place here in Lauderdale (Anthony's) has had to put up signs explaining their pizzas because folks were trying to send them back as burnt(!!) I really enjoy them , but I guess some folks can't adjust their thinking from Domino's.

Deerfield Beach is a great little beach town , but parking can be a bit touigh sometimes ( there is a city gagarge in the area, but it does get crowded there) Whales Rib is my personal favorite there.

Malinta, Ohio
Level Contributor
25 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lunch in Boca for a family of 5?

Thanks for the info folks... I appreciate it. Getting all my ducks in a row for a (hopefully) bump-free vacation, and every little bit of knowledge helps.

Cheers!

boca raton, fl
Level Contributor
49 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lunch in Boca for a family of 5?

No problem. Please ask if you want any more info on anything in the area. I am travelling to Portland and Seattle and trip advisor has been amazing at helping me plan as we have never been there before!

Florida
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Lunch in Boca for a family of 5?

I'm sorry if I'm too late with this post for you...but I don't think you can leave the park and re-enter. Reef Park can be expensive and the beaches are nicer with more access with things to do in Deerfield and Delray. Honestly, if you aren't planning on picnicing and spending the day there, I would bag up my quarters and go to one of the others.

The advantages of Deerfield is there's a pier and the kids can take free surfing lessons on Sunday mornings (check with Island Water Sports). If you don't go on Sunday, I think you might be able to rent a surfboard for the day. I'm sure you can google them on the net. The disadvantage is the shopping is limited and I only know of the one restaurant on the beach that serves beer (I could be wrong).

Delray has a lot more shopping, she can walk a 2 miles down Atlantic and shop away! And you can either stay at Boston's on the Beach and relax or go with her to the Biker bar just east of the railroad tracks and wait for her (can't think of the name of it but, yeah...it's different!)...you can sit outdoors and people watch and a lot of times they have a guitar player.

So, I guess in my opinion...there are more options for the adults in Delray, but Deerfield would probably be more fun for the kids.