We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Relocating To Boynton

Columbus Ohio
Level Contributor
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Relocating To Boynton

My husband and I are thinking about relocating to Boynton Beach...we have a 5 year old daughter...how is the area? We live in Columbus Ohio now...any info would be greatly appreciated...thanks.

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
8,699 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Relocating To Boynton

If you aren't doing so already, the Palm Beach Post and the Sun-Sentinel are useful. For what it's worth, the Loxahatchee National Wildlife Refuge has a new visitor center, and Boynton is not far from a number of nice oceanfront parks.

I'm sure you've noticed that Boynton is part of a continuous urban area stretching from northern Palm Beach County through Broward and Miami-Dade Counties, 1.2, 1.7, 2.3 million people, respectively. The hot-dog shape of this urban area has certain effects on travel (only two north-south expressways). There is little public transportation; the Tri-rail commuter service connecting Miami to Palm Beach is likely to be abandoned.

Pay attention to schools. The Palm Beach County school district now supports a significant number of charter schools. For the longer term, the state university system has operated on a system of minimal state subsidies combined with legislature-imposed low tuition. Tuition is rising, state support declining still further.

Bear in mind that while Florida does not have a state income tax, state and local governments charge fees for everything.

On the other hand, if you like to have interesting reefs to snorkel at the beach or want palms, orchids, bromeliads, and crotons in the yard, southeast Florida is the place.

Columbus Ohio
Level Contributor
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Relocating To Boynton

Thank you for your quick and informative response....it was very helpful...

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
8,699 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Relocating To Boynton

I left out homeowner insurance, which is typically more expensive than property taxes and prohibitively expensive at the beaches.

Hurricane Wilma of 2005, category 2, did extraordinary damage to the electricity supply system and ruined huge numbers of roofs. This caused a lot of concern about the potential impact and cost of a more serious storm, category 3 to 5.

Best wishes!

Boynton Beach, FL
Level Contributor
10 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Relocating To Boynton

I thought I would just add in, being that I just moved from Cincinnati to Boynton last year.

First off, GO BUCKEYES!!!

We LOVE this area. Its a growing area that has everything you could possible imagine without the trashyness of downtown areas. And to the response about public transportation being poor, I will tell you that it exceeds way above that of Columbus. I take a free trolley to a train station and then a train to walking distance of work. $3.80 a day.

Anyhow just thought I would add my thoughts...

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,005 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Relocating To Boynton

You might want to take a look at nearby (adjoining) Martin County. Not as crowded, lower Auto Ins, lots of A rated schools. After 13 yrs in Palm Beach County we made the move to Martin and are so glad we did. Hobe Sound, Jensen Beach and Stuart are worth a look. TCPALM,com

Boynton Beach...
Level Contributor
55 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Relocating To Boynton

Boynton has many bright spots but absolutely stay away from the Northeast corridor. This is a drug and violence infested cess pool.

I would highly recommend a home in the Gateway Blvd./Jog Rd. area as it is very residential, beautiful, and is loaded with A-Rated schools (the reasons why we plan on moving from East Boynton to that area).

The beach (Oceanfront Park) and the Inlet are very nice and we drive though them often. Shopping and dining is abundant and relatively safe along Congress Ave. - everything you could imagine. A question mark goes to Boynton Beach Mall, though - site of a Christmas Eve gang-related killing a few years back.

I have lived in this town since 1994 and never had any issues with crime although I have heard my share of gunshots since the Northeast corridor is only a mile away. Granted, the police station is only a couple of blocks away so that seems to "safen up the area".

Another great thing about Boynton is the location - you are easily within reach to three major airports - PBI, FLL, and MIA - and they are only 15 - 55 minutes away.

One last thing, the http://schoolhousemuseum.org/ is pretty cool and it was voted best children's museum in South Florida two years in a row now. It is the county's first school that has been converted to a children's museum.

Columbus Ohio
Level Contributor
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Relocating To Boynton

Thanks for your post....my husband and I made a trip there at the beginning of December and are 98% sure we will be relocating...

Edited: 30 December 2009, 21:14
Columbus Ohio
Level Contributor
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Relocating To Boynton

Thanks for your reply...my husband and I came for a visit in early December and we thought it was a lot like Columbus only with great weather and palm trees! Do you have kids in school? Do you like the school system if you do have children in them? Thanks again...and Go Bucks!

Columbus Ohio
Level Contributor
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Relocating To Boynton

Hello,

I posted "Relocating to Boynton" and you responded...(thank you so much by-the-way) and I thought since you moved from Ohio I could pick your brain...my husband and I have decided to make the move from Columbus to Boynton Beach...any suggestions as to which apartments, townhouse rental in the area are nice to rent? We want to rent until we get used to the area and decide where would would like to buy a home. I have looked at all the apartment complexes...condos...they all seem to have complaints around them...just not sure what area is the best to raise our 5 year old...looked at the schools too...seems like west of Military Trail the schools seem to have higher ratings....I am at a loss. We will be moving in about 6 months. Thank you so much for any advice you can provide...

Lori

4. Re: Relocating To Boynton

Nov 18, 2009, 10:48 PM

I thought I would just add in, being that I just moved from Cincinnati to Boynton last year.

First off, GO BUCKEYES!!!

We LOVE this area. Its a growing area that has everything you could possible imagine without the trashyness of downtown areas. And to the response about public transportation being poor, I will tell you that it exceeds way above that of Columbus. I take a free trolley to a train station and then a train to walking distance of work. $3.80 a day.

Anyhow just thought I would add my thoughts...

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

BROOKLYN, NY
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Relocating To Boynton

Hello,

I know its been a while since you posted on this topic but since you would have been in boynton beach for about a year now perhaps you can help me figure some places to visit and things to do in boynton beach..I am relocating from New York ..I am not really a nature kind of person, but I am interested in going to some beaches, etc...any recommendations?

Get answers to your questions about Boynton Beach