We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

shuttle launch

Fairport, New York
Level Contributor
809 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
shuttle launch

We are flying in next month and have boked a tour with a firm to VIP view the launch. We do not know what to expect as far as services, since ther is a large amount of timebetween when we are picked up and when it should launch.

Are facilities available, I assume we go right to the viewing location, "the closest posible view open to the public", which is not at the visitors center.

Food/beverage, what can we bring in with us? etc??

Thanks!

Palm Coast, Florida
Level Contributor
1,970 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: shuttle launch

I think you need to ask the company you hired. All are different.

Preston

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
11,232 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: shuttle launch

May I ask what tour you booked and with whom? We will be there and want to see the launch. We don't "need" to go on a tour but I am curious about it. Thanks!

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
872 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: shuttle launch

You don't need to pay for a tour to get a good view. Just search this forum for shuttle launch viewing and you will find plenty of information about the best places to watch from.

Remember, the space shuttle program is ending next year, there's only a few launches left. It is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for many.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,516 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: shuttle launch

When does it come back down? May 21st? Why is the program ending? No more space exploration?

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
872 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: shuttle launch

It is supposed to land May 22, but the landing dates frequently change as the mission progresses.

The Space Shuttle program is being replaced by the Constellation program. The Constellation program will use a much smaller spacecraft, called Orion, to travel to the moon and eventually to Mars.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,516 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: shuttle launch

Thank you for info!! We will still be in town then , on the 22nd, till 24th so maybe we will see it land! Thanks again!

Florida
Level Contributor
924 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: shuttle launch

You really can't see it land but you can hear it. You'll hear 2 sonic booms as it comes back into the atmosphere.

8. Re: shuttle launch

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 November 2009, 08:30