We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice needed regarding traffic after a shuttle lift off

London, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Advice needed regarding traffic after a shuttle lift off

Hi,

On November 1 the Shuttle is due to take off at 4.40pm but our flight back to the UK takes of from Orlando Airport at 8.50pm so I guess the latest we can arrive at the airport will be around 6.50pm give us approximately 2 hours to get from Titusville to the airport - is this possible?? Or will the traffic be a nightmare?

I've tried to get on a later flight with Virgin Atlantic but because there are 6 of us in my family the cost to change our flights will be over £1,000 (which the wife won't let me do - she's not a space fan!)

Any advice would be great as I don't want to get the hopes up of my kids if this isn't going to work for us.

Thanks

Kevin

Brandon, Florida
Level Contributor
8,388 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice needed regarding traffic after a shuttle lift off

That is going to be very close .. try not to stay too close to Titusville itself but further West or somewhere in the vicinity of Hwy 50 and I-95 or Hwy 407 and I-95. That way when it's time to leave you'll have a "head start" on the rest of the crowd.

BTW, the shuttle is visible even from further away if you want to be absolutely sure of making your flight.

Edited: 19 August 2010, 00:11
Palm Coast, Florida
Level Contributor
1,968 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice needed regarding traffic after a shuttle lift off

I also suggest a different vantage point. I would consider somewhere alond hwy 528 called the Beachline. People just stop on the side of the road then after it is over you could hop in the car and go straight to the airport. I would come about 1-2 miles West of the city of Cape Canaveral. The beachline is non stop with no traffic lights and sppe of 70mph most of the way. Do not miss the launch!

Preston

Fishers, Indiana
Level Contributor
914 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice needed regarding traffic after a shuttle lift off

There is a toll booth on the Beachline. If your rental car company offers use of the "Sun Pass" to pay the toll, pay the extra for it. It will let you simply drive past the toll booth on your way back to the airport. If you don't have it, you have to go through the toll booth lines and your wait could be very long. It will cost a bit more, but nowhere near what it will cost if you miss your flight.

My experience for STS-127 was that traffice heading towards Orlando from the Titusville / KSC area was very heavy - and traffic for STS-133 should be much greater.

Preston always gives great advice and I think he has it nailed here as well - watch along the Beachline in your car and be ready to get moving as soon as the shuttle is out of sight.

I hope everything goes well and you get to see the launch on time.

4. Re: Advice needed regarding traffic after a shuttle lift off

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 February 2011, 07:20