We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2014 launch question

Which Cape Canaveral hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
chicago
Level Contributor
8,206 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
2014 launch question

hoping to go for the first time and take my four year old daughter, im aware they often get postponed but im wondering if i should go 1/23 or 2/22? any reason to pick one over the other?

is it still best to watch daytime at KSC and after sunset at the beach? no problem paying extra for KSC and i also know i might lose money if its canceled

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cocoa Beach
Level Contributor
2,517 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2014 launch question

Typically, I prefer watching an Atlas or Delta rocket over the SpaceX Falcon. Occasionally, launches will also use solid rocket boosters, which makes for a better show. Also, the SpaceX launches seem to have more delays, but any launch can be rescheduled, even in the last few seconds of the countdown.

My personal preference would be the Atlas 5 launch on 1/23, which is a night launch. Also, watch for the scheduling of a two Delta 4s, each with two SRBs, one sometime in January and one sometime in February. I don't have an exact time for the SpaceX Falcon 9 launch now scheduled for 2/22.

The reflection of the blast in the water during a night launch is interesting to watch. You can be adjacent to the Atlantic Ocean along the Cape Canaveral / Cocoa Beach areas, watch over the Banana River from just north of the port, or watch from TItusville. Daytime launches can be observed from the KSC Visitors' Complex, but you don't necessarily have to pay admission -- you can watch from the parking lot ($10) or even from nearby roads. During the day, you can often watch from Playalinda Beach at the Cape Canaveral National Seashore ($5, call in advance to confirm opening hours).

chicago
Level Contributor
8,206 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2014 launch question

some things ive read talk about extreme crowds, does that only apply to shuttle launches?

10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 2014 launch question

The big crowds are gone with the shuttle. For launch viewing you might also try the bridge in Titusville. It's on your way to Canaveral Seashore.

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cocoa Beach
Level Contributor
2,517 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2014 launch question

During the shuttle years, and especially as the program was ending, there would be traffic jams before and after the launches, and parking would be difficult around the most popular viewing sites. NASA even sold special viewing tickets for sites around the launch, including the Visitors' Complex and NASA Causeway.

i've seen several launches recently, and there are still crowds that come to the beach, but nothing like the shuttle years. There no longer an extra charge for viewing from the Visitors' Complex, and as mentioned above, there are no extreme crowds or traffic problems as before. Over the first part of 2014, there are a couple of launches scheduled for each month, so there's numerous opportunities to see one.

5. Re: 2014 launch question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 May 2015, 05:21