We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay with kids in Southwest Florida?

Which Cape Coral hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Stockholm, Sweden
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay with kids in Southwest Florida?

My husband and I are planning a trip to southwest Florida in December with our kids, then ages two and a half and 10 months. We would like to rent a house somewhere in the Ft Myers, Cape Coral, Bonita Springs, Sanibel Island areas but are not sure which one to chose. We'd like to keep the cost to about 2,500 for two weeks. We'd like a little yard for the kids, and a pool. Houses on the canals in Cape Coral look very nice but I'm concerned that we'll spend our time trying to keep the kids from from falling into the water and won't enjoy sitting on the dock... So a place with a yard with some grass might be better. Suggestions on areas to look in, not necessarily limited to those listed above, would be appreciated. We would like to be fairly close to nice beaches and areas to go for ice cream/shopping with kids in a stroller.

Thanks!

Ft.Myers Beach,FL
Destination Expert
for Fort Myers Beach
Level Contributor
3,333 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay with kids in Southwest Florida?

check out www.vrbo.com on Ft. Myers Beach (Southwest Gulf Coast) and Time Square area is walking distance to everything. I believe in the other areas you could not walk safely to shops, etc.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
45,962 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay with kids in Southwest Florida?

If you want a home rather than a condo you will need to stay off the barrier islands where your money won't stretch to a private home for 2 weeks.

Look at Ft Myers, Venice, Englewood/Rotonda, Bonita Springs and even Naples perhaps. CC could be a night mare with little ones re:safety and is quite far from beaches (the nearest being over 30 mins drive- more like 45). and make sure your home is equipped with baby equipment, and door alarms to the pool deck.

CC is a good place to stay for boating activities but fenced yards are few.

Michigan
Level Contributor
613 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay with kids in Southwest Florida?

I sent you a PM about a company I am renting a home through :))

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
606 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay with kids in Southwest Florida?

I second the vote for Venice, FL. Cape Coral is not the place to go if you want to be close to anything. In Venice, you should be able to find a place that is a 10 min walk to downtown shops and restaurants and a 10 min walk from the beach.

Ontario
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay with kids in Southwest Florida?

Where did you end up going? I too plan on travelling to that area with a 1 year old. Were you happy with your choice? Any advice?

6. Re: Where to stay with kids in Southwest Florida?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 January 2013, 10:29
Get answers to your questions about Cape Coral
Recent Conversations