We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ants in pool area

Eastbourne, United...
Level Contributor
605 posts
107 reviews
Save Topic
ants in pool area

Our villa rental is spotless, until yesterday. Suddenly because the weather is muggy we seem to have tiny ants and 'british' size ants (as opposed to Florida huge ants) all around one half of the pool surround.

We have bought 2 cans of spray so far but they are leaping into the pool half alive!!!!! Yuuuukkkk!

Can anyone suggest what else we can do to get rid of them, would powder make a difference? Will we get rid of them or do I need to contact the management company and ask for a proffesional bug spray in the pool area.

Dont want to appear wuuussssy!

Florida
Level Contributor
1,099 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ants in pool area

They're probably what's called a sugar ant. Annoying but harmless. You can call the management company but they're going to spray something powerful you wouldn't want to walk around barefoot. Boric acid works but so do the traps you get at the store made by Raid.

Eastbourne, United...
Level Contributor
605 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ants in pool area

thank you for your reply. I dont really want to call the company. But they are now flying ants, they are up on the screen mesh and falling off into the pool, causing little ripples in the water as they fall. I am sure the humidity is causing them to come up from the ground, hopefully we are due some rain tonight so tomorrow I will put some stuff down if they are still around.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
48,436 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ants in pool area

They dont sound like normal ants that is for sure.

I can't imagine it has anything to do with umiduty, but could be a swarming type insect (such as mayflies/love bugs etc?).

If you can'tive with them or get rid (an you could acpture one or tow and take them to home depot or the garden center fo ID and advice) then you wil have to call managment.

Eastbourne, United...
Level Contributor
605 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ants in pool area

thanks amanx. they are not those horrible love bug things, double flying insects, i have got those all around 'outside' the screen, again yuuuukkkkkk!

will see how it is tomorrow.

I know you are american,(fla?) living in UK...you know those flying ants we have in July every year when it gets clammy and thundery in the UK, it's just like those!

hopefully they may just die off, if it is those...we will see

Florida
Level Contributor
1,099 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ants in pool area

Oh they have wings. They're flying ants not sugar ants. Sugar ants are teeny tiny. Yes the flying ants are gross but they are part of Florida. They are around not because of the humidity but because of all the rain we've been having.

Ant traps won't work and I'm not sure boric acid will either. What you can do, as long as it's an open patio or screened in is get a flying bug outdoor fogger and set it at night. You can't go outside while it's going off or until the morning but that should help a little. You'll have at skim the pool in the morning with the pool net. You'll never completely get rid of them because of the moisture and you have them outside.

Edited: 14 May 2012, 00:22
Eastbourne, United...
Level Contributor
605 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ants in pool area

Gk95

we still have the teeny weeny ones, but it's the flying ants which are falling in the pool. We are leaving for a couple of days on Tuesday, back Thursday so we will try the fogger. I saw that in walmart, so thanks for that.

I hate them in my space!!

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
48,436 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ants in pool area

We don't get those here where I live Glee- we get midges though. I hate the horse flies the worst- they hurt lol.

Never had flying ants in my pool cage, but did have a black widow.

Eastbourne, United...
Level Contributor
605 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ants in pool area

Well the good news! We have scoured the pool area (with a magnifying glass) LOL! And there is definitely nothing alive out there now... We had really heavy rain last night so maybe they were all washed away. However as the day warms up they may come back, we'll see. I've got my fingers crossed, my poor hubby is working tirelessly to rid us of them, dead and alive :)

so far so good!

Eastbourne, United...
Level Contributor
605 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ants in pool area

Amanx, black widow, now THAT would make me go home :))

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
48,436 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: ants in pool area

Can of Raid sorted it- don't be such a wuss lol.

You might have fainted at the bobcat I saw outside the pool cage, and the bald eagle eating road kill right in front of my car ;-)

Get answers to your questions about Cape Coral
Recent Conversations