We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canal fishing in Cape Coral ?

Which Cape Coral hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lexington, Indiana
1 post
Save Topic
Canal fishing in Cape Coral ?

We'll be staying in Cape Coral The second week in June and wondered what the method of fishing and the type of fish we can catch off the dock if any.

Thanks

Lansing, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,141 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Canal fishing in Cape Coral ?

Hi Bryan - We lived on a canal while we lived in Cape Coral. You SEE lots of different fish, you just can't always catch them!! We caught mostly catfish, but there were snapper around too, we just couldn't seem to hook them. We also had stingray and dolphins (not the eating kind) in our canal. An alligator made an appearance once or twice too! Oh, and my husband caught a huge blue crab once - think he hooked it by a claw, lol! You never know what may be around. Use shrimp as bait, preferably live ones. Stay off the bottom if you don't want to catch a cat! Anything else I can help you with, feel free to ask!

fort myers,fl
Level Contributor
71 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Canal fishing in Cape Coral ?

Depends. There is fresh water (bass. Carp. Catfish. Gar.panfish.) and salt water canals. ( pretty much everything snook. Tarpon. Catfish.jacks. snapper. Grouper.sharks. catfish..etc.) . Shrimp is the preferred for salt water). Cape coral has 400 miles of canals

London, Canada
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Canal fishing in Cape Coral ?

We were on a salt water canal and caught: Jacks, Catfish, Snapper, Stingrays. I saw Sheaphead and we caught a few other types, but we didn't know what they were.

It was fun sitting on the dock with some pops and tossing some shrimp on a line to see what you can reel in.

derby
Level Contributor
4 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Canal fishing in Cape Coral ?

Sorry- bit of a late response. Different times of the year - you'll catch different fish. Before the freshwater flushes the system- you'll catch anything really with Baby tarpon coming in July (ish). Once the water turns brown- it'll mostly be Catfish.

To anyone fishing the canals- be very careful with the cats- their spines will dig in very quickly and they don't don't come out easy and can ruin a holiday. Long nose pliers and shake em off!

1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Canal fishing in Cape Coral ?

Hello,

Next year in june I will come for 3 weeks to Cape Coral ( I was there this year with my holiday in september). my questions is of it is possible to ctach sharks in the canals I will stay SW 8 place.

Regards,

Jurgen

Peoria, Illinois
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Canal fishing in Cape Coral ?

My son and I will be staying on a salt water canal middle of october. Any suggestions or ideas?

london
Level Contributor
97 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Canal fishing in Cape Coral ?

Use thick gloves for when you catch a Cat fish. That's all we have ever caught.

Stoke-on-Trent...
Level Contributor
11 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Canal fishing in Cape Coral ?

We've been to Cape Coral the last two years and stayed on the river.We used frozen shrimp and caught Rays,cats,spotted trout,snappers,puffers,sheepshead and even a small shark.

You get most of these in the salt water canals and the eight lakes.

Crazy Lure bait shop on Lafayette Street is very helpful and good value.

1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Canal fishing in Cape Coral ?

I'm from Scotland and I'm heading to Cape Coral next Tuesday and will be there for 1 week. Looking for somewhere to fish for a couple of hours peace and quiet as and when throughout the stay. Will buy a cheap rod and some equipment whilst I'm there so any tackle shops would be of help also. Thanks in advance guys.. CANT WAIT! :D

Stoke-on-Trent...
Level Contributor
11 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Canal fishing in Cape Coral ?

The fishing in Cape Coral is pretty good wherever you are.

A house on the river is best,weve had Spotted Sea trout,Stingrays,Puffers,Sheepshead,Whiting,Jack Crevelle,Catfish of various species(some are venemous)and I even had a small shark last year.

The Salt water canals and the eight lakes you get more or less the same species less the sting rays ,and trout.But you get quite a few small snappers of different types.We did see a Dolphin early one morning in Thunderbird Lake.

The fresh water canals hold catfish,Small Alligator Gar and even Large Mouth Bass.

If youre in one of the few houses in C.C that isnt on the water,Theres the Bernice Braden Prak at the Cape end of the Cape Coral Bridge.Ive seen people fishing there from the sea wall of where we were staying.

Other than that a charter would be the best bet.We bought a couple of Shakespeare Rods c/w reels and line for around $30 a piece

Go see Jon at Crazy Lure And Bait on Lafayette Street for advice,bait and a charter.

If you have time take a look around the Bass Pro shop at Gulf Coast Town Centre,youll love.

Hope this helps,im jealous,we have to wait till April before we can go back.

Get answers to your questions about Cape Coral