We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time to visit Clearwater - help needed please!

Which Clearwater hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
England
Level Contributor
1,047 posts
155 reviews
Save Topic
Best time to visit Clearwater - help needed please!

Hi

We would like to visit Clearwater Beach or somewhere nearby and wonder when is the best time to visit. Being seniors, our priorities are wanting to visit when its not too humid but when its still quite hot and warm enough to swim in the sea.

We plan to hire a car and do some sightseeing too so which would be the best car hire company to pick up a car from Tampa airport on arrival ... prices seem to vary so much and whilst we don't want to pay the highest price, we don't want to go for the lowest either if it means heaps of extras to be paid on arrival and maybe not such a reliable company.

Help please!

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
214 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best time to visit Clearwater - help needed please!

Well, let's start with weather. Our "hot and humid" period is typically associated with hurricane season - June thru late September. Florida coasts, in general, are mid-upper 80's F in the day and upper 70's at night. You can swim the the Gulf at Clearwater Beach comfortably in all but November through April.

As far as a car is concerned, Enterprise, which is a very reputable, nationwide company, is always a good bet to have some of the lowest costs and good cars. Example, in late July, they have compact cars in the mid- $20's US a day range. Fuel here at present is running about $2.60-2.80 US per gallon and seems to creep higher each week. Wasn't that many weeks ago it was $2.39 a gallon! Welcome to Florida and the U.S. and have fun!

England
Level Contributor
1,047 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best time to visit Clearwater - help needed please!

Thanks for that, seems October might be our best bet to fit in with other commitments this end. We'll definitely go with Enterprise then for the car as we had heard elsewhere that they are usually a good company.

Your help is much appreciated.

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
8,776 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best time to visit Clearwater - help needed please!

October would be a great time to visit. As was said by the previous poster, the humidity is what gets to you, and it is at it's highest June through Sept. October it will still be warm/hot, but the humidity will not be as high. The water temp will be warm enough to enjoy a swim also.

I have also had good experiences with Enterprise, and with Avis. They seem to be reliable, and with good/competative rates.

Canada
Level Contributor
81 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Best time to visit Clearwater - help needed please!

We just returned from a great trip to Clearwater. We rented our car from Enterprise and were pleased with this company. We checked out several other car rental companies and found Enterprise to be reasonably priced.

We did not need the car for the full length of our trip as we like to find our way around on foot for the first few days so we arranged with Enterprise to pick us up at our hotel.

England
Level Contributor
1,047 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best time to visit Clearwater - help needed please!

Can you please tell me how much a taxi would cost from Tampa Airport to Clearwater Beach area? Its much cheaper to hire the car from Enterprise on Gulf to Bay Blvd which I presume is the nearest in the area? Just thinking it may be more cost-effective to use taxis from and back to the airport and then get the hire car as opposed to taking the hire car from and back to the airport.

Thanks

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
8,776 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best time to visit Clearwater - help needed please!

The Enterprise on Gulf-To-Bay would be the closest to TPA, other than at the airport. I'm sure it will also be cheaper than the one at the airport. After that location, the next closest will be on Court St at Missouri Ave. near downtown Clearwater.

I rarely use cabs, but a few years ago took one from TPA to my house, which is very near the Enterprise on Gulf-To-Bay, and it was $45+tip. Like I said, this was a few years ago, so it will almost surely be a bit more. This is about half way, or a little more than half, to the beaches. So unless they do it for a flat rate which I don't know about (might call and ask - Yellow 727-799-2222), it would be around $90-$100 each way.

Another option to look into if you would like. www.supershuttle.com between the airport and beach/hotel, and have Enterprise pick you up at the beach/hotel. I think Super Shuttle is something like $22-25 per person, each way I think.

Once on the beach, a rental car is not really necessary, unless wanting to go beyond the beach area.

England
Level Contributor
1,047 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best time to visit Clearwater - help needed please!

Thank you so much, MarkBee, you are being such a great help. I posted separately too in case you didn't see this posting!

Canada
Level Contributor
81 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Best time to visit Clearwater - help needed please!

We rented from Enterprise on Court Street about 15 minutes drive from the beach. Before booking we called around and not all car rental companies will pick you up so it is a good idea to give them a call first. We also used the supershuttle for our airport transportation and were pleased with their service.

England
Level Contributor
1,047 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best time to visit Clearwater - help needed please!

Thanks Katie, we are going with Enterprise for just one week of our two weeks in Clearwater as Mark says we won't need a car most of the time unless we want to venture further (which we will!), and have now definitely decided to also go with the airport shuttle as you say that's good too.

We are so very grateful for everyone's help, thanks guys.

Scotland
Level Contributor
2 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best time to visit Clearwater - help needed please!

We are also retired and book our holidays through RBS Royalties Gold. We book the car from Avis and have used Avis from Tampa airport for the last 4 year twice a year (may and september)and are booked for this sep. again Enjoy your Trip