We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Residence inn for labor day weekend, advice needed.

nyc
Level Contributor
2,542 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Residence inn for labor day weekend, advice needed.

We (wife and 4 years old) will be visiting Clearwater Beach on labor day weekend. We will stay at the Residence Inn and had a few questions about the beach. I hear parking is bad on clearwater beach will I definatly find parking? Can I bar b que on the beach?

Is there a playground for the boy? Is beer and music (radio) permitted on the beach? What time should we be there to get a good spot? And are there riptides at the beach here? I greatly appreciate your responses. thanks

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
8,776 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Residence inn for labor day weekend, advice needed.

If you can stay on the beach, that could solve the parking hassle, and you could come and go between your room and the beach. But, to answer your Q's...

= You will probably be able to find parking. But, it may take a little while of driving around to find a spot. And, that spot you find might not be very close to the part of the beach you want to go to. Part of the parking problem has been solved by a new parking garage. It is the garage of the new Hyatt Hotel. Several floors of the garage are for public use. Look for the large pinkish/coral colored bldg towards the Left as you enter the beach from the causeway. It's huge, can't miss it. Labor Day weekend the beach will be packed and parking will be at a premium, and traffic will probably back up early getting from the mainland, to the beach. Sure you can't stay on the beach?????

= No fires, or BBQ on the beach. You can take a cooler with precooked stuff, or sandwiches etc. No glass cups or containers of any kind allowed either. Lots of places walkable to get a sandwich, ice cream, drinks etc.

= At the base of Pier60 there is a small playground/park area. There is a large inflatable slide.

= Radio is allowed. Beer/alcohol is not allowed. But... I, and many others I know, have taken beer/booze and just put it in plastic cups, or some other innocent looking container/jug. If you have so much you draw attention to yourself, harrass people, get loud etc, you could be in trouble, but, normally if you don't draw any attention to yourself by the folks looking for this type of thing, you should be alright. But legally, no, it is not allowed.

= The earlier the better, for beach spot and parking.

= The gulf is a lot calmer, in both tides/rips, and waves, than the Atlantic. But, you can still get into trouble. There are lifeguards on duty, but it will be a very busy weekend.

Edited: 17 August 2010, 13:46
nyc
Level Contributor
2,542 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Residence inn for labor day weekend, advice needed.

very good info markbee.thanks. Im getting a verry good deal at the residence inn so staying at the beach dont work for me so much. gotta talk to the misses in regards to the cooler vs. eating at the beach. we were looking forward to cooking outdoors . anyway thanks again.

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
8,776 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Residence inn for labor day weekend, advice needed.

Sand Key Park is just South of Clearwater Beach. Just over the bridge from the South side of the beach. There is a beach there, and a park that has shelters with grills. Odds are, the few shelters there will be taken VERY early on the holiday weekend, but since there are BBQ grills at the shelters, I would assume you can bring your own BBQ and grill in the park. Sounds like it would be allowed, but I don't know for sure, so you may want to call to be 100% sure. Probably not allowed to cook directly on the beach, but in the park area next to the beach.

www.pinellascounty.org/park/15_sand_key.htm

Lots of parking in this park, but it too will fill on a holiday weekend, so earlier is better. It is a quieter, slower paced beach area just a couple minutes drive from Clearwater Beach.

4. Re: Residence inn for labor day weekend, advice needed.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 February 2011, 06:58