We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beaches North of Clearwater

Which Clearwater hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
VANCOUVER
Level Contributor
287 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Beaches North of Clearwater

Why are there no beaches between Clearwater area and Panama City? Can you even drive along the coast?

Orlando
Level Contributor
9,574 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beaches North of Clearwater

There are very few beaches because there are very few barrier islands in that part of the state. US 19/98 does not run next to or even close to the water in that part of the state's peninsula.

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
8,776 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beaches North of Clearwater

I agree. Not much at all on that stretch of the state as far as beaches. You can drive to some of the places, like Homosassa, Crystal River, and Cedar Key from US19.

VANCOUVER
Level Contributor
287 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beaches North of Clearwater

So what is the best road to take from Panama City to Clearwater?

Genesee Depot...
Level Contributor
394 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beaches North of Clearwater

The more rural route, with stop and go thru various towns will be 19 to 19/98 to 98 at Newport, and a nice coastal route to Panama City. Google Maps shows 6hr 52min drive time.

OR:

Interstate route....I-75 out of Tampa to I-10 west to exit# 174 > Hwy12 to Bristol > Hwy 20 to 231/75 to Panama City. Drive time 6hr 49 min.

Time should be the same maybe a bit faster on the interstate but add 30-40 miles.

Personally if it were my drive, I like the rural route. Will be more FL scenic and travel thru all the little towns and such.

Genesee Depot...
Level Contributor
394 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beaches North of Clearwater

Just noticed I'm leaving Clearwater to Panama City. Please reverse my directions if starting from Panama City. Google maps is very useful to follow along.

6. Re: Beaches North of Clearwater

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 February 2013, 10:20