We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Level Contributor
9 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic

I’m trying to get some perspective on the stingrays on St. Pete Beach. I’ve read some articles (a few years old) about doing the “stingray shuffle” because of the large number of stingrays that could be in the waters just off shore. I understand the concept, but is it always necessary with each movement to be doing that? How would you swim, body surf, or do anything else in the water besides just stand there or shuffle. Is wearing water shoes enough protection to allow you to not worry about it?

Thanks for any clarification and first had knowledge that you might have for me.

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
8,776 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stingrays??

The rays are more prevelant during the heat of the Summer.

While people do get stung, it's just the odds are way in your favor that it won't be you. On busy Summer beach days, there may be one, or several stings per day, but when you put it into perspective of how many people are in the water that day, it's really a fractional percentage.

The shuffle just adds to the odds in your favor.

I grew up here boating, skiing, skim boarding, surfing, swimming all that stuff. I rarely did the shuffle, especially when younger, and never got stung, and never knew anyone personally that did. But then there could be that one person, first time here, first time in the water and gets it. You just never know.

I remember once I got cut up a bit on the boat, while in the ER a guy was brought in that got stung. This dude was in some serious pain, so any precaution you feel like taking can only be a good thing.

So, is it something that can happen? Yes. Is it something you have to worry about all day. No.

Have fun !!!!

Level Contributor
9 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stingrays??

Thanks for the advise! I appreciate it.

3. Re: Stingrays??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 20:42