We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clearwater in May with kids

kentucky
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Clearwater in May with kids

Ok weve got our first trip to Clearwater planned for May17-24. We are staying in a home within walking distance to pier 60. We are bringing 5 kids ages 8,7, and 4- so i need help,advice: what are the must see things? We are doin a day in Tampa at Busch Gardens. And the kids are wanting to see Winter at the aquarium, but ive seen mixed reviews on that? What elseshould we try to do? Anything we should avoid?? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Will this be a super busy time in the area? Im hoping to avoid big crowds on the beach.

Thanks in advance!

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
8,776 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Clearwater in May with kids

It will be a pretty busy time with the weather getting very nice.

Kids love the indoor surfing at the Surf Style store, Captain Memo's Pirate Ship Cruise, dolphin sighting cruises, and the speedboat rides from the marina. Captain Bligh's Mini Golf on South Beach.

Also the nightly sunset celebration at Pier 60 is fun for everyone. Vendors line the pier, and there are street performers, face painting etc for the kids.

St. Pete Beach...
Level Contributor
325 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Clearwater in May with kids

The weekends are always reallllly busy in CWB. I don't recommend the Clearwater Marine Aquarium, unless Winter is a must-see. The Florida Aquarium in Tampa is much nicer, larger and worth your time and $. On the weekend, I'd plan to stay in CWB because traffic will be a mess getting on and off the beach at almost any time of day, unless very early in the morning or very late at night.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
2,244 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Clearwater in May with kids

May won't be terribly busy on Clearwater Beach, so getting on and off the beach shouldn't be a big problem. We just returned from the month of March on the beach. March is the busiest month on Clearwater Beach. Some days were busy getting on or off the island, but most days weren't bad (maybe a five minute delay). The traffic was significantly lighter the beginning of April.

St. Pete Beach...
Level Contributor
325 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Clearwater in May with kids

Last year when I lived in CWB, the traffic was extremely tricky getting on and off the beach either on the Causeway or Sand Key Bridge during the summer. There were honestly times it was way worse than spring break and would literally take me an hour to get from the Sand Key area to North Beach.

kentucky
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Clearwater in May with kids

Oh i hate to hear that. We ususlly vacation in Gulf Shores early May for that very reason! We can always avoid crowds. We actually have the beach to ourselves often. We wanted to try something different knowing it would be a little more crowded but oh well guess we will make the best of it. Do you have any suggestions on must do/see things for kids?

St. Pete Beach...
Level Contributor
325 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Clearwater in May with kids

Lowry Park Zoo in Tampa is really nice. For a quieter beach experience head down to St Pete Beach, Pass-a-Grille or Ft Desoto. Downtown St Pete is really nice too, lots of museums, very family oriented. There's a children's museum called Great Explorations in DTSP and then there's also MOSI in Tampa. Depending on your taste, you could take in a Rays game at Tropicana Field or a Rowdies (soccer) game at Al Lang. I really find the St Pete area to be better geared toward families than CWB, but it really depends on your preferences. It's a little more laid back outside of CWB.

South Milwaukee...
Level Contributor
275 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Clearwater in May with kids

My kids really enjoyed Clearwater Aquarium and seeing Winter. It was a fun day for them and my husband and I enjoyed learning about all of the other animals that live there as we'll.

We also enjoy Sunsets at Pier 60 in the evenings. Lots to see and fun street performers really get the audience involved!

Have a great vacay! :-)

8. Re: Clearwater in May with kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 April 2015, 05:16