We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how successful are shark fishing trips

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
84 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
how successful are shark fishing trips

Hi. We are considering going on one of the shark fishing trips either from Tampa or from ClearWater the last week in June.

Anybody have any good feel for how common it is for sharks to bite ? I've read the numerous reviews but usually the reviews are biased by those that successfully landed the fish they've wanted and not as much by those that didn't land the sharks. There's many photos of people catching fish other then sharks ..

And .. is it pretty safe ? Looks like the majority of the boats for charter are 22-24 ft boats. I don't want to end up on youtube :). Yes I found two charters with boats above 35 ft ..

Mentioned in this post
Tampa
Tampa
Florida
Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
8,776 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how successful are shark fishing trips

I have never been on a charter here that specifically goes after sharks. But, out on our own boats, we have caught plenty of sharks in the gulf here. Both when wanting to, and when really trying for something else. I would feel confident you will get some. Good luck!

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
37,372 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how successful are shark fishing trips

This is not something that anyone can guarantee -- you might get a bite, you might not.

For someone as nervous as water conditions (your post about rough water) and safety, you might want to consider one of the big headboats that carry dozens of people rather than trusting some guy with his 24' bathtub floatie.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
468 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: how successful are shark fishing trips

Not too successful.

Their fins are small and on opposite side of their bodies, so its really difficult for them to hold a fishing pole.

4. Re: how successful are shark fishing trips

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 June 2015, 05:17