We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling to Florida soon, please help

Which Cocoa Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Maryland
Level Contributor
47 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling to Florida soon, please help

Hello all,

My family of 5 would like to travel to Florida for 2 weeks 6/19-7/3 and i'm trying to find affordable, nice accomodations. I was thinking of staying in or around Orlando for a week and then going to Tampa (in or around the area) or some place that has attractions for the next week. if any of you have any links to timeshares, condos or houses that we can rent that would be great. The people traveling will be 3 adults and to children ages 14 and 8. I'm getting a little frustrated with all of this and i'm trying not to but the hotels are so pricey and some of them aren't really that nice. Any thoughts suggestions about what I should do will be appreciated!

If you have any suggestions for a different location in a nice beachy area that would be great!

Yours truly,

Frustrated and confused

NY
Level Contributor
1,365 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling to Florida soon, please help

It's a nice plan - we are doing a similar vacation in May (Orlando, then Cocoa Beach, then Madeira Beach in Tampa area). In Orlando you can rent a condo by day or a suite in a hotel, but in beach areas most condos seem to rent out by week or longer only. You can split your time between the different locations depending on what activities you are interested in.

Look up reviews for Kima Condominiums Madeira Beach. We will be staying there for the 3rd time. If you want to be right on the beach it's the cheapest in the area I could find. Be aware that all condos are owned by different people and have different furnishings, some might be outdated, etc. Here is their website. The price listed there is outdated (on purpose!), but is still much cheaper than what you would pay if you go through a real estate.

http://kima.home.mindspring.com/

Let me know if you want more details...

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
13,524 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling to Florida soon, please help

Try www.vrbo.com. Lots of homes and condo's for rent. If you research back on TA you will find a few recommended and some other sites to check. We used to do the same when our kids were younger-with a condo you can cook a few meals and always have cold drinks, etc. Saves loads of money not always eating out or buying drinks from a machine. Plus you can do up some laundry and not have it all to do when you get home.

Atlanta
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling to Florida soon, please help

I use vrbo all the time- it's great. However, there have been many scams in the past. The most preferable rental would allow credit card bookings (more security if it's a fraud)

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling to Florida soon, please help

Hello. We have been to Florida lots of times. I would avoid the Tampa/Clearwater area as it was very busy with noisy students driving up and down the coast road beeping their horns till late into the night when we were there in the Easter holidays. Also, the beach is not on the mainland, and there can be long traffic queues to get on or off the mainland over the bridge on the intercostal river.

We hired a lovey villa last year in Bradenton throughVRBO.com ref no. 28324. It was well located, with restaurants, large supermarkets, and shopping centres just minutes away, plus only about 8 minutes drive to the Interstate so easy to get anywhere quickly. The villa was set in a small housing estate on a lake, and birds came down to drink, and squirrels played on the lawn while we swam in the heated pool. Absolutely lovely. It may be a bit small for your party but you might be able to find other villas on the lake that are bigger.

Bradenton beach (20 minutes from the villa) is just superb, clear turquoise waters, soft sand, pelicans diving all around you and the best part is, there are no parking meters around the beach area. It is really annoying on other beaches to guess how long you are going to stay so that you can feed the parking meters with the correct amount of money.

There is the Ellerton Mall 20 minutes north of Bradenton to do all your bargain shopping in. Last year I picked up a Jennifer Lopez bikini for 20$, and got loads of other designer stuff much cheaper than in the UK.

Or you can go south to Sarasota and try old-fashioned homestyle cooking at the Amish restaurant "Sugar and Spice". Lots of excellent Chinese All-you-can-eat Buffets around too. Helicopter rides, dolphin trips, nature trails are all available in the area.

I can also recommend villas that we have stayed in around the Kissimmee area, Crystal Springs, Fort Myers, Englewood Rotunda, or Melbourne if you want to contact me direct, but of all of the beach locations I would recommend Bradenton.

Have a good time.

Spookycat.

Illinois
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling to Florida soon, please help

Hello,

I know this is a little late, but you should check out

Oceanique Resort in Indian Harbor. I have been

going there since I was a kid. It is great for a

Family. I think it is about $1000 for a week. The

units sleep six and have a full kitchen. It is about

an hour drive to Orlando. I loved it as a kid and still

do as an adult.

Good Luck..

6. Re: Traveling to Florida soon, please help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2009, 22:19