We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Red light cameras in Cocoa Beach, Florida

Utica, New York
Level Contributor
53 posts
154 reviews
Save Topic
Red light cameras in Cocoa Beach, Florida

DRIVERS (especially tourists) BEWARE: Check the City of Cocoa Beach's website for the four locations of their red light cameras. If you are found guilty of entering an intersection while the light is red OR making a right on red w/o stopping, you'll (actually the owner of the vehicle) be the recipient of a $158 fine. Be aware and drive with care.

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cocoa Beach
Level Contributor
2,575 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Red light cameras in Cocoa Beach, Florida

Just to be clear, the Cocoa Beach City Commission last week voted to negotiate the termination of its contract with the vendor who actually operates the cameras. The contract is otherwise scheduled to end in the spring of 2015, but could be removed much sooner if negotiations are successful. Meanwhile, the cameras REMAIN IN OPERATION -- I saw a car photographed just last night.

The rationale for the removal was that it created Ill will from tourists who are unfamiliar with the area -- as can be seen here in this thread. Furthermore, the number of photographed violations had dramatically dropped, and the city's revenues were recently only about $40,000 a year.

Merritt Island...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Red light cameras in Cocoa Beach, Florida

The cameras are still functioning today, be very careful, the yellow lights are also set at the minimum (just over 3 seconds).

Utica, New York
Level Contributor
53 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Red light cameras in Cocoa Beach, Florida

As one of the original posters on this Cocoa Beach topic, I'm disappointed the cameras are still in operation. That said, I'm not necessarily totally opposed to the cameras to nab blatant red light offenders provided the DRIVER is ticketed and not automatically the vehicle's owner. In Philadelphia for instance, I understand their cameras not only photograph the vehicle's license plate, but the driver's face as well.

Lake Hartwell, SC
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Red light cameras in Cocoa Beach, Florida

I was in Cocoa Beach during mid August 2014 and can personally attest to the fact that the red light cameras are still in operation, because I was mailed a ticket for $158 from the City's camera contractor. I was pretty annoyed, because according to the camera still images and video footage, I was traveling below the speed limit, but they have the yellow light time set to near the minimum allowed under Florida state law (you can time it from your video footage). Thus, you need to hit the brake when you see yellow regardless of how close the vehicle behind you is. If you enter the intersection on red, you will get a ticket. I researched this a bit, and they have the yellow light times set to near the minimum of 3 seconds per state law. Watching the video footage from my own ticket and timing it multiple times, it appears the light was yellow for less about 3.8 to 3.9 seconds. This means if you are looking to the left or right for just a couple of seconds, you are screwed when you look back to the light and have to decide whether to hit the brake or continue on. In my case, there was not a sole pedestrian in sight in any of the camera views, nor anyone waiting to turn left in front of me, but there was a sizeable truck behind me and within 3 seconds of my bumper based on watching their video footage. But they could care less that I might have caused the truck behind me to rear-end me had I hit the brake. I emailed the city commissioner and police chief and told them what a sour note this had for me, and while they were gracious enough to reply, they did nothing to correct the situation. One or two only said that they don't intend to continue the contract after it expires in the spring of 2015. Apparently, they don't have the kahunas to stop the contract now even though a local county (Brevard County) judge deemed the camera contract illegal due to the "quota-based" approach it uses. The camera company varies their price to the City based on the amount of revenue they generate. It looks like the state of Florida recently took control of all local camera systems to some extent and awarded itself a large chunk of all the revenue that the systems collect, and between the state of Florida and the camera contractor shares, very little is left for the cities. So given the ill will that the camera system creates with tourists, it looks like the City of Cocoa Beach has decided they are not making enough money from the camera contract to justify the damage to tourism. Along those lines, I will tell you that Cocoa Beach is an obvious destination if you are vacationing in Orlando because of the ease of commuting over from Orlando. You can pay about $6 in tolls 1-way and be there in about an hour from the Disney area. But I can tell you that there is absolutely nothing special about this beach unless you want to visit the Ron Jon Surf Shop or try surfing. In my opinion, there are much nicer beaches in Florida than this one, and to be candid, it appears you are considerably more prone to a shark attack in Cocoa Beach than in much of Florida. The week before we visited in August 2014, we learned a young girl from Georgia was bitten by a shark, and if you do your homework, you will see that there are a number of things that cause this to be a more dangerous beach than many for sharks. All in all, I recommend investing an extra hour of time in your car and visit one of the absolutely fantastic beaches along the west coast below Tampa (examples: Fort de Soto Park and Egmont Key, Anna Maria Island, Captiva) or even east coast beaches like St.Augustine (Anastasia Island, or just south of St. Augustine Beach if you want to drive your SUV on the beach and park near where you play, and not like in Daytona where the cars on the beach can be as prominent as the people). There are also some really nice east coast beaches about an hour to an hour and half south of Cocoa Beach. Unless you want to try to surf, and to be honest, as a former resident of Florida, I've rarely seen waves big enough anywhere in Florida that make surfing look interesting to me, I recommend you really consider some other beaches to see what makes Florida's coast special.

Utica, New York
Level Contributor
53 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Red light cameras in Cocoa Beach, Florida

There might be a return to sanity and justice, my friends. A FL appeals court has just ruled:

cnet.com/news/…

As I mentioned in one of my earlier posts, this is still the US of A and I believe the cameras serve a purpose IF used appropriately. IF the camera can determine who is DRIVING the vehicle allegedly running the red light rather than who OWNS the vehicle running the red light, fine. The city of Philadelphia, PA has such a sophisticated system where the camera photographs both the plate number and the driver.

Utica, New York
Level Contributor
53 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Red light cameras in Cocoa Beach, Florida

See this from philly.com regarding red light cameras:

philly.com/philly/business/20141225_Not_enou…

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,856 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Red light cameras in Cocoa Beach, Florida

Sandy, seriously, just let it go. You've been going on about this for three years now.

You're not a Cocoa Beach voter, and Philadelphia has nothing to do with anything in Florida, and that's an editorial, not a scientific paper.

Follow the traffic rules and stop for red lights. If you're still that offended, just don't go to Cocoa Beach. Simples.

38. Re: Red light cameras in Cocoa Beach, Florida

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 December 2015, 05:17