We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family Vacation - stay by the pier?

Chicago, Illinois
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Family Vacation - stay by the pier?

Hi - my family and i are planning a vacation to cocoa beach/cape canaveral in may.

The rental condos we are looking at are all along the beach - is there a better location to be in relationship the cocoa beach pier?

We're guessing it would all be fabulous, but would love some feedback from locals or those that have been there.

Thanks!

florida
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family Vacation - stay by the pier?

The pier can give you "something to do" if you're into looking at the few shops in it; eating in any of the restaurants; drinking in the open area bar and watching the people go by; paying the few bucks to go to the end of the pier where there is another bar and or fishing. It's also nice for the pictures you'll be taking...but i wouldn't base my trip on the proximity of the pier..you won't miss that much all in all. it's also nice to be within walking distance of ron jons surf shop and some of the eatery's nearby. have a nice trip.

Merritt Island...
Level Contributor
236 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family Vacation - stay by the pier?

I agree, you won't miss much not being near the pier. I prefer the beaches in Cocoa Beach vs. Cape Canaveral only because they are wider and flater. I think somewhere around the Ron Jon's area would be nice. That way in the evening if you wanted you could go straight across 520 to the movie theater or some of the chain restaurants (via car). There are also good restaurants in Cocoa Beach as well, just throwing that out as an option :)

Minnesota
Level Contributor
894 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family Vacation - stay by the pier?

Discovery Beach Resort is all ocean-front condos and walking distance to the beach. I have stayed there several times and highly recommend it, especially if you're bringing family. They have a nice pool, jacuzzi & sauna area and a reasonably priced restaurant on site. They feature daily specials.

They village of Cocoa is across the causeway from Cocoa Beach. It has lots of little restuarants, shops and antique places to explore.

If you happen to be staying at Discovery Beach during a shuttle launch you will have a FRONT ROW SEAT on your balcony. I saw a night launch there years ago that I will never forget. But you have to watch the NASA Channel on cable tv, for some reason the resort staff doesn't realize that travellers are interested in seeing a shuttle launch, go figure?

Chicago, Illinois
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family Vacation - stay by the pier?

thank you all for the fantastic feedback!

Illinois
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Family Vacation - stay by the pier?

another place to stay is Cocoa Beach Towers. Its located just south of Discovery Beach. We stayed in Unit #16 and it was great for a family. Contact Kingrentals.com go to cocoa beach towers, unit #16. We're going to come back again this summer. We had a great vacation......