We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cocoa Beach in February

Hummelstown
Destination Expert
for Hershey
Level Contributor
432 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Cocoa Beach in February

Our cruise is stopping for a day (Feb 12) Port Canaveral. Looking at average weather, it looks to me like the water temperature is probably too cold to be swimming. Do you agree?

So what do you think would be a good alternative? Walking on the beach? Some sort of nature tour?

I would love some suggestions!

Thanks!

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,757 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cocoa Beach in February

Yes, too cold for swimming. You might even need a hooded sweatshirt for walking on the beach.

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
14,884 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cocoa Beach in February

You might check out an airboat ride, this company is located along 520 west of the port area about 1/2 to Orlando. http://twisterairboatrides.com/index.html

also Merritt Island Nature preserve is nearby, Kennedy Space Center, Ron Jons surf shop, Cocoa Beach Pier, Cocoa Village, Porcher House. As stated it can be cold at that time of year (at least to us it is!).

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
36 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cocoa Beach in February

Well last Feb we were swimming and like the rest of the world we're at the mercy of climate change so it's a crap shoot on the swimming. I'd say if you have an adventurous spirit I'd do the Enchanted Forest, Cocoa Village and certainly the Brevard Zoo. Great little zoo and you can touch and feed giraffes and zip line over the animals. It's quite nice. Then there is NASA and Kennedy Space Center. Keep in mind that it's pricey but quite awesome. Also, just check out groupon and dealchicken for the latest for our area from now until you get here. Lots of wonderful deals on things to do! All the best and enjoy the space coast!

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
16,500 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cocoa Beach in February

1. Brevard Zoo

2. A 2-hour boat ride on the Indian River Lagoon with Island Boat Lines http://www.islandboatlines.com/Home_Page.php

3. An airboat ride at Lone Cabbage Fish Camp http://www.twisterairboatrides.com/

4. Kennedy Space Center

5. Ron Jon's Surf Shop (for looking or buying).

Of course, a rental car is required.

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cocoa Beach
Level Contributor
2,575 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cocoa Beach in February

February weather is relative (when, as Born said, it seems cold to the residents) and variable. Most days in February, you will see some people in the ocean, happily jumping in the waves, but few will be residents.

The average daily high for February is 74 degrees, but "cold fronts" will seemingly have more impact. The weather everywhere varies, and when a cold front moves through, the high for a day or two might be only 68 and only a brave few (and some surfers in wetsuits) will be in the water, especially if it's windy. That makes more difference to people than in the summer, when the average high might be 86, and the cold front lowers it to 80 for a few days.

The same thing is true of overnight lows, they will obviously be lower in February than in April or May, and there will be times when a sweatshirt or light jacket would be appropriate for evening or early morning walks on the beach.

Water temperature is typically in the high 60's in February, or the low 70's right on the beach. The near beach water temperature is 72 right now.

February of 2012 was part of an especially warm winter, and both the water and air temperatures were higher than typical, so there was more beach activity. As of right now, the weather Is following a similar pattern, as the predicted temperature is around 80 for the next five days, then into the mid-seventies. Lows should be in the low 60's. Nobody can say for sure if those higher temperatures will continue into next month.

The above suggestions and other threads on this forum give a good idea of alternative activities. There's plenty to do.

Edited: 12 January 2013, 15:52
Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
505 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cocoa Beach in February

Grab a rental car, they all have shuttles to the port. Just be sure & have it back by the time they close. The different companies and their operating hours are here: rentalcodes.com/cheap/port_canaveral.html ,

I second the suggestion of the Brevard Zoo or Kennedy Space Center. Both are very much worth the price of admission. After all there are beaches everywhere & it will most likely be too cold to be enjoyable on the beach anyway.

Rimouski, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Cocoa Beach in February

Not so true this winter, often over 75F , sunny. I swam in sea at Daytona beginning of january, hard to get in but once in Ok for about 10 minutes

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
36 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cocoa Beach in February

My husband and an old girlfriend of mine visiting us from up north went in yesterday for about half an hour. I declined but I love warm water... 80+ degrees for me to get in so I stuck to the heated pool. My kids enjoyed it as well. So, hopefully we'll stay in the low 80's for daily highs and the water will not be too chilly, but just refreshing.

9. Re: Cocoa Beach in February

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 15 February 2013, 21:35
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
27,475 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cocoa Beach in February

Post #9...really it sounds like your own property you're trying to promote on this site to me...............