We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Space Coast Beach? Cocoa, Satellite, Indian Harbor, et

Which Cocoa Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Rockville, Maryland
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Which Space Coast Beach? Cocoa, Satellite, Indian Harbor, et

Hi there,

My husband is going to Melbourne, FL for a work trip in late April and my 7-month old baby and I are tagging along. We're trying to decide in which beach we should stay. I'm hoping to stay in a hotel that is directly on the beach, but within walking distance to lots of shops/restaurants since my husband will have the car during the day. It seems that Cocoa Beach has the most options, but I'm afraid that it'll be too far of a daily commute for my husband. Anyone have any ideas?

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
14,228 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Space Coast Beach? Cocoa, Satellite, Indian Harbor, et

Cocoa Beach is about 25 mn north of the Indialantic area. You wont find a lot of stores in walking distance to a beach hotel in either city. There is some public transport (SCAT) which you can get around to some of the shops, restaurants, etc. We only have 4 chain hotels in the Indialantic area. The Hilton and the Radisson are across from a shopping plaza with a Wal-Mart and a Dollar tree and a consignment shop. Bealls is about a mile. The 2 southern hotels in Indialantic are not in walking distance to any shops. Cocoa Beach will have shops like Ron Jons surf shop and a few beach /tourist type stores but you have to go to Cocoa Vilage or Merritt Square mall for regular shopping.

Is there any way you can take your husband to work and then keep the car for the day? We have Brevard Zoo which the baby would enjoy, the Melbourne Square Mall, Downtown Melbourne and The Avenues at Viera. All of which would require a car or a bus trip with changes as I doubt one bus would make the route from the beach to where you need to go. We are a small town but very spread out.

Hope this helps.

Orlando
Level Contributor
9,731 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Space Coast Beach? Cocoa, Satellite, Indian Harbor, et

You won't be staying in Satellite unless you are getting a condo, The Same goes for Indian Harbour. Born with Wheels covered it pretty well. I can add the there are a few places in Cocoa Beach that are walkable to a plaza with a Publix and a few other stores, but you won't find a huge shopping area except for Ron Jons and the Cocoa Beach Surf Company.

I also agree with dropping off your husband.

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cocoa Beach
Level Contributor
2,541 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Space Coast Beach? Cocoa, Satellite, Indian Harbor, et

Just had Easter brunch at the Hilton In Indialantic yesterday, and agree it is somewhat isolated. Actually, all the beachfront hotels on A1A are spread out so that walking very far isn't easy. It's a little better up in Cocoa Beach, as there are a few quaint shops scattered around, but there is no one large grouping of shops anywhere near the beach where you could spend multiple days shopping.

The Merritt Square Mall is a couple of miles off Cocoa Beach, but it is a typical mall, anchored by Macy's, Sears, Dillard's and Penny's; it would be a short taxi ride from a beachside hotel. There is a similar mall in Melbourne, but it is even farther off the beach. Downtown Melbourne has a few quaint shops, and there are boutiques at Cocoa Village. There is a nice "lifestyle" shopping center at Viera, which is north of Melbourne and southwest of Cocoa Beach.

From Melbourne, it typically takes 30-40 minutes to drive to Cocoa Beach, and it is common for people to commute between the two. There are several routes: the beach route on A1A, US highway 1, Interstate 95, and some city streets such as Fiske Blvd. During spring break, the traffic is heavier, so times could be slightly longer.

See www.ridescat.com for bus route maps. To me, the Cocoa Beach area would be best to keep you occupied during the day, even though the commute might be a little longer. Hope you enjoy the trip!

Rockville, Maryland
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Space Coast Beach? Cocoa, Satellite, Indian Harbor, et

Thanks to you all for your quick replies! This is very helpful info.

5. Re: Which Space Coast Beach? Cocoa, Satellite, Indian Harbor, et

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 April 2014, 06:15