We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants to see cruise ships leave

Which Cocoa Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurants to see cruise ships leave

Hey Phototravels or anyone else who can help...which restaurants are good to see the cruise ships from? We got here last night (love it,btw!). I remembered Glen Cheek Drive and we ate at Fishlips but no ships were going out last night. We liked Fishlips but is there another good one to try?

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
13,918 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurants to see cruise ships leave

We like Grills which is right by the boat ramp. If no cruise ships you might see the charter boats unloading catch. We also like Baha Tavern next to Fish Lips. I know Photo likes Rusty's. however we are not a fan of the place. The Smokehouse (not on the water) has good BBQ sandwhiches and smoked fish.

Boston...
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurants to see cruise ships leave

They told us no cruise ships last night but they will be going out today. Fishlips has a great view from the upper level...does Grills have a view as good as that?

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
8,776 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurants to see cruise ships leave

I second Grills. Was just as fun watching the charter boats come in. Good food and great drinks!

Orlando
Level Contributor
9,574 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurants to see cruise ships leave

Rusty's and Millikens also have outdoor areas. Rusty's has a huge outdoor deck right next door to Fishlips.

Edited: 21 August 2013, 18:04
UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
46,294 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurants to see cruise ships leave

This is a good question, and thanks for the answers (will check it out mxt time i am over that way lol).

I know of a great place to watch the ships sail out in Miami Beach ;-)

Orlando
Level Contributor
9,574 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurants to see cruise ships leave

I believe Seafood Atlantic has an outdoor deck too. I'm not sure about the view though.

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cocoa Beach
Level Contributor
2,532 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurants to see cruise ships leave

I know that most, if not all, have outdoor decks along the shipping channel. -- haven't tried Seafood Atlantic, but I think it has a smaller, covered deck. I do have a preference for Rusty's because of the size and openness of its newer deck and the particular types of live music offered. The food is acceptable at all of the places, so check the menus to see what appeals to you -- people have different tastes, so it's not surprising there are different opinions. Help us out by trying all of them, and then giving us comparative reviews!

The ships start sailing around 4 p.m. most days (Carnaval and Royal Caribbean) and as late as 5 p.m. (Disney). Occasionally, there are Norwegian ships that come in that don't leave until 9-10 p.m. On Sunday, 8/4, there were four ships in port.

There are seldom ships sailing on Tuesdays, which explains why you didn't see any yesterday. There are only occasionally ships sailing on Wednesday. All other days, there should be ships sailing in the afternoon. Tomorrow, Thursday, there should be two ships, one Disney (also Disney on Saturdays and Sundays). Our favorite day at Rusty's is Sunday -- usually three ships and live music on the outdoor deck.

The Port Canaveral website has the sailing schedule. There can be slight variations from week to week.

Good to see that you are down at Cocoa Beach, Carmela, and it's good to hear you are enjoying your stay so far. We get back down the first week in September.

Edited: 22 August 2013, 03:00
Boston...
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurants to see cruise ships leave

We were told at Fishlips yesterday that there would be ships tonight at 4 and 5. We were down there by 4 and decided the upper deck of Fishlips had the best view, so we ate there again. At 4:00 there were no ships...5:00 and still no ships...we hung out till 5:30 and nothing but fishing and navy boats. 😒 We could see a ship in port but it wasn't moving.

So we went down to Jetty Park and watched some dolphins from the jetty. We decided to walk to the end of the pier. When we were halfway down the pier, we turned and saw the ship that had been in port coming right by the jetty. It seemed to have stopped, so we hurried back to the jetty and got there just as it started moving out. It was the Carnival Pride, and we were so close...we could see all the people waving. It was really cool to see.

Tomorrow supposedly there are 3 ships going out, and one of them is the Disney Dream. So we will try to see that, perhaps from a different restaurant. Really don't want to pay another $10 to get back into Jetty Park.

Speaking of which, I absolutely LOVED Jetty Park! It was my favorite of all the areas we saw. Gorgeous. It was also the only place we have seen dolphins, and they weren't just swimming by...they were surfacing in the area for a long time. We saw them on two occasions in the channel by the jetty.

Will write a full trip report later. I will say that the waves are very constant and very rough. I like to body surf and boogie board, but it was difficult to catch waves before they broke...they just kept bombarding you before you could get your bearings. And the water is very warm...at least 30 degrees warmer than the ocean where we live.

Nighty night 😴

Boston...
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurants to see cruise ships leave

We were told at Fishlips yesterday that there would be ships tonight at 4 and 5. We were down there by 4 and decided the upper deck of Fishlips had the best view, so we ate there again. At 4:00 there were no ships...5:00 and still no ships...we hung out till 5:30 and nothing but fishing and navy boats. 😒 We could see a ship in port but it wasn't moving.

So we went down to Jetty Park and watched some dolphins from the jetty. We decided to walk to the end of the pier. When we were halfway down the pier, we turned and saw the ship that had been in port coming right by the jetty. It was now 6:30 pm. It seemed to have stopped, so we hurried back to the jetty and got there just as it started moving out. It was the Carnival Pride, and we were so close...we could see all the people waving. It was really cool to see.

Tomorrow supposedly there are 3 ships going out, and one of them is the Disney Dream. So we will try to see that, perhaps from a different restaurant. Really don't want to pay another $10 to get back into Jetty Park.

Speaking of which, I absolutely LOVED Jetty Park! It was my favorite of all the areas we saw. Gorgeous. It was also the only place we have seen dolphins, and they weren't just swimming by...they were surfacing in the area for a long time. We saw them on two occasions in the channel by the jetty.

Will write a full trip report later. I will say that the waves are very constant and very rough. I like to body surf and boogie board, but it was difficult to catch waves before they broke...they just kept bombarding you before you could get your bearings. And the water is very warm...at least 30 degrees warmer than the ocean where we live.

Nighty night 😴

Edited: 22 August 2013, 04:26
Boston...
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurants to see cruise ships leave

Sorry for the double post ...tried to delete one but I am on my phone and it didn't work