We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

South Cocoa Beach construction/work?

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
98 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
South Cocoa Beach construction/work?

Hi All...

I keep watching the pier web cam (surfguru.com/florida-surf-reports/cocoa-beac…) on the beach and it looks like they are doing something pretty significant. I am just curious what is going on. The last week there have been a lot of dozers, and bucket trucks... today I see water spraying up like a water fountain. Just curious. :)

Thanks

Orlando
Level Contributor
11,058 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: South Cocoa Beach construction/work?

Beach renourishment. It has been going on the last few months all over the county over there.

They have to do it before turtle season.

I hate it when they do stuff like that because they screw up the fishing.

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
98 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: South Cocoa Beach construction/work?

So are they trying to widen the beach? I saw some before and after pics of the pier from 2000 and it looks like they added several yards of new beach.

I bet it does screw up fishing! Probably not good fishing in that area right now, eh?

Thanks for your help! :)

Orlando
Level Contributor
11,058 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: South Cocoa Beach construction/work?

They did it a few years ago, and some of the storms had eroded the beach significantly again over the past couple of years. It was almost back to the way I like it before they started doing this crap again.

I have been over in that area a lot in the past few months. Unfortunately, I haven't had much of a chance to actually fish since around Thanksgiving. Being rushed and having to hurry home, water conditions, etc have not given me too many chances this winter.

I hope to change that soon.

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
9,035 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: South Cocoa Beach construction/work?

The beach south of Port Canaveral is chronically starved of sand, which (before the inlet's jetties were built) migrated from north to south. So renourishments have been done periodically. This year, there's also projects farther south in Brevard County to remedy loss of sand from hurricane Sandy.

Not all is loss. It's been a nearly storm-free winter, with those big north Atlantic storms failing to create fetch (wind blowing in the right direction) to bring large waves to our beaches. My local beach in Vero Beach has been spontaneously growing seaward since fall.

Mentioned in this post
Port Canaveral
Port Canaveral
246 Reviews
Port Canaveral, FL
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cocoa Beach
Level Contributor
2,632 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: South Cocoa Beach construction/work?

We can see the project from our balcony. It started up in Cape Canaveral, nd just recently moved to south of the pier. Yesterday was a beautiful day and the beach was quite crowded -- the project didn't seem to be affecting the fun, even as the dredge ship Liberty Island was pumping sand to the beach through an underwater pipeline.

Mentioned in this post
Cape Canaveral
Cape Canaveral
Brevard County, FL
6. Re: South Cocoa Beach construction/work?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 March 2015, 06:16