We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holiday Inn or Hampton Inn?

Peoria, IL
Level Contributor
316 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Holiday Inn or Hampton Inn?

Trying to decide between Holiday Inn and Hampton Inn. We will be staying 3 nights and I am looking for a hotel that includes the following:

- close to beach/on beach

- good pool area for kids

- breakfast included

- Walking distance to restaurants, grocery store

- Shuttle to cruise terminal (we will not have a car but need transport to/from)

From what I can tell both of these hotels meet the criteria. I also considered the Comfort Suites but am concerned about cleanliness/street access setup from the TA reviews.

Which should I choose?

For those that have taken the shuttles - on return journey to hotel, will they let you use the pool for a few hours before your flight back, even if you are not staying in the hotel that night?

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cocoa Beach
Level Contributor
2,575 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Holiday Inn or Hampton Inn?

IMO, both are among the better hotels in CB, and better than the Comfort Inn. We've stayed at the Hampton Inn as a family, but not the Holiday Inn Express (note that the actual Holiday Inn was converted to the International Palms Resort about 4 years ago). However, the HIE is close to our vacation home, and we know people who have stayed there.

The Hampton Inn is closer to the beach. Although there is a condo complex between this hotel and the beach, there is still a good side view of the ocean from many of the rooms, if you stay on an upper floor. The walk to the beach is easy -- it takes about a minute on the wooden boardwalk, with no streets to cross.

The HIE is within 2-3 blocks of the beach, but there is a need to cross one very busy street, highway A1A, and a second less busy street to get to the beach -- probably a five-minute walk. The Cocoa Beach Pier is nearby, with the usual surfers and some restaurants out over the water.

Both are within walking distance of Publix supermarkets. The HIE is almost adjacent to one Publix, the Hampton Inn is within 4-5 blocks of a different Publix.

The outdoor pool at the Hampton Inn is not what I would call spectacular, but it is adequate, and convenient to the beach. It is located well to receive sun. The HIE pool is covered, with a western-facing exposure. It will not receive direct sunlight most of the day; this could be an advantage if it is breezy or raining, but given the typical sunny weather, the lack of sunlight could be a disadvantage.

Both hotels seem to be well-maintained. The HIE is newer. The HIE has interior corridors, but the Hampton Inn has exterior corridors. When we stayed at the Hampton, we had a room (at the western end of the hotel) that had two queen beds and a sleeper sofa, so it slept five easily. The HIE has some mini-suites.

The breakfast buffet at the Hampton Inn was good, with decent selection. I can't comment on the HIE breakfast.

The Hampton Inn is almost twice as far from the port as the HIE, but both are relatively close -- within 5-12 minutes drive. There are more restaurants close to the HIE, but both are within walking distance of a good selection of places to eat. The Hampton Inn is about 1/4 mile south of the "center" of CB, while the HIE is near the north end of the tourist strip.

With kids, I would give the edge to the Hampton Inn because of the outdoor pool and the proximity to the beach, but either hotel would work. As for the use of the pool on return, I would contact the front desk, being sure to remind them of your stay, and see what they say.

Our friends in Bloomington say that it is again snowing in Central Illinois, so Florida must seem very appealing to you right now -- yesterday was almost 80 degrees and sunny here. Have a great trip!

Peoria, IL
Level Contributor
316 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Holiday Inn or Hampton Inn?

Thanks SO MUCH for your detailed reply. Really appreciate you taking the time to provide so much info. Yes, it is snowing again today and freezing... this trip can't come fast enough!

3. Re: Holiday Inn or Hampton Inn?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 March 2015, 04:27