We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A few questions re: Camping at Rainbow Springs SP in Feb.

Douglasville, GA
Level Contributor
287 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
A few questions re: Camping at Rainbow Springs SP in Feb.

Now that I'm looking, I wonder if we should have stayed in Crystal River. Hmmm....

Is there lots of to around Rainbow Springs State Park? Should we try to kayak there/see manitees or should we venture to Three Sisters?

We are 2 families with 4 teenagers, is there a "must see"?

Is there a cool restaurant either in Dunnellon or Crystal Springs that we should try?

Really, LOL....do you have any suggestions for us to make this a great trip??

Last Feb. we stayed at Manatee Springs SP and had a blast. We visited Cedar Key and loved it. I think it's a bit far away for this trip, don't you think? I'm guessing that Crystal Springs is somewhat similar?!?!?

Thanks so much!!

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
796 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A few questions re: Camping at Rainbow Springs SP in Feb.

Crystal River Fl is a nice little town. Some of the "hot spots" are:

Port Hotel and Marina (manatee tours, boat rentals, scuba, snorkeling tours)

Birds Underwater- a tour Co. for manatees

Kings Bay - the big bay where the hot springs are.

Restaurants; Crackers restaurant and tiki bar, has live music. (waterfront)

Cody's Steakhouse

Rocco's Restaurant- the closest thing to fine dining, Italian food

A small mall

lots of golf courses

Three Sister's Spring (the famous one)

Homosassa Manatee State park

Kings Bay Drive bridge- where you can stand and watch manatees swim under you.

Edited: 27 January 2013, 16:37
Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
796 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A few questions re: Camping at Rainbow Springs SP in Feb.

If you are looking for a hotel in Crystal River, The Best Western is on Kings Bay and next door to Cracker's Restaurant. And walkable to

a few other shops and restaurants. It has a boat dock, and small pool. (it is an older place)

The Holiday Inn Express is new, and in the center of town, about 10 minutes from the water.

Douglasville, GA
Level Contributor
287 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A few questions re: Camping at Rainbow Springs SP in Feb.

I love live music and think it's cool to hear of a bridge to stand on and watch manatee swim under. Thanks for all of the suggestions! Keep them coming as we are getting so excited about this trip!

We're camping in Dunnellon at Rainbow Springs. If there are suggestions for that area, shoot them to me. I first thought we should change to Crystal Springs, but after refreshing my memory about why I chose Rainbow Springs, I'm glad we're there.

Thanks greenthum!!

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
796 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A few questions re: Camping at Rainbow Springs SP in Feb.

your welcome- we were there Christmas and New Years- and saw lots of manatees swimming under the bridge. Some were babies with their mom.

Just follow Kings Bay Drive- it runs along the water in a residential area, and there is a little bridge with a pedestrian walkway. And a place to park right past the bridge. You will see kayakeers, , fish, and manatees. Its best when there is no wind, and the sun is shining. We have best luck in the morning and evenings.

I don't know much about Dunnellon.

On Kings Bay Dr there is a Manatee Infor. Center- worth a walk thru.

Douglasville, GA
Level Contributor
287 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A few questions re: Camping at Rainbow Springs SP in Feb.

Many thanks...a Manatee Information Center sounds like a great way for our kids to learn about the cuties.

I love that we might see them from this bridge. I'll post the luck we have after our late Feb. trip.

6. Re: A few questions re: Camping at Rainbow Springs SP in Feb.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 March 2014, 04:15