We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How often do crabs pinch someond and how can i avoid it?

2 posts
How often do crabs pinch someond and how can i avoid it?

I'm going to Daytona next month and was wondering what to eat h out for, regarding crabs.

15 replies to this topic
Apalachicola...
Level Contributor
3,604 posts
122 reviews
1. Re: How often do crabs pinch someond and how can i avoid it?

Crabs are not served live so no worries about getting pinched. At the beach it’s not a problem. If you are catching them yourself you position your hand behind them and hold on the middle of the shell- they will pinch you otherwise.

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
18,064 posts
116 reviews
2. Re: How often do crabs pinch someond and how can i avoid it?

There are not that many crabs on the beaches and they are more afraid of you than you are of them. They will run and hide if they see you coming. I have not heard of anyone being pinched unless like PF said, you are trying to pick them up. In that case you must hold them from the back so the pinchers can not reach you.

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont, Ormond Beach
Level Contributor
9,818 posts
93 reviews
3. Re: How often do crabs pinch someond and how can i avoid it?

Yes - I've never been pinched, nor know of anyone who has recently. Fear not. :)

Bedford, Indiana
Level Contributor
6,359 posts
345 reviews
4. Re: How often do crabs pinch someond and how can i avoid it?

We’ve been to the DB area 17 times and have only seen one live crab on the beach and that was after dark on a night beach walk.

We tried to get a closer look but it was gone in a flash.

Having said that, we do often stop and watch the tiny crabs hiding in the sand beside the wooden walkway next to Aunt Catfish’s on the River.

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
44,321 posts
96 reviews
5. Re: How often do crabs pinch someond and how can i avoid it?

Jelly Fish are the real danger in the ocean water at Daytona.

Bedford, Indiana
Level Contributor
6,359 posts
345 reviews
6. Re: How often do crabs pinch someond and how can i avoid it?

And thankfully, even the jellyfish haven’t been an issue for us in 17 visits over 18 years.

DD did have an encounter with a jellyfish at Myrtle Beach once, a dab of salve and an hour later she was ready to go back in the ocean.

Metro Orlando
Destination Expert
for Daytona Beach
Level Contributor
4,534 posts
99 reviews
7. Re: How often do crabs pinch someond and how can i avoid it?

35 years there, with a good part of 15 spent down at the beach, I've never had a problem with crabs, and thankful only indirect problems with jellyfish.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
38,242 posts
11 reviews
8. Re: How often do crabs pinch someond and how can i avoid it?

even if you were find a crab, and if it were big enough to pinch you, and you managed to corner it and aggravate it enough to pinch you....all you would have is a painful pinch.

Crabs aren't aggressive nor poisonous -- nor can they hurt you badly enough to even seek medical attention. I've needed a bandage for one or two particularly bad pinches (I was fishing for and cooking them...so not exactly an accidental encounter!) so I suppose you could neglect it and let it go septic and need a doctor for an infection....but "death by crab" is not a recognized statistic.

Bedford, Indiana
Level Contributor
6,359 posts
345 reviews
9. Re: How often do crabs pinch someond and how can i avoid it?

OP- after your visit to DB, if you have a moment, please come back and post a TR and let us know if you encountered any crabs.

Daytona Beach
Level Contributor
7 posts
30 reviews
10. Re: How often do crabs pinch someond and how can i avoid it?

Rarely pinch people, You will be fine.

Reply to: How often do crabs pinch someond and how can i avoid it?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Daytona Beach