We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overnight Parking for Daytona 500

Charlotte
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Overnight Parking for Daytona 500

If I attend the 2/14 race, can I just sleep in my car in one of the parking lots that night and then go to the Daytona 500 on 2/15? Any chance you could put up a tent in the parking lot? I have done this at Talladega but Daytona seems a lot tougher on parking. Any ideas?

Port Orange, Florida
Level Contributor
183 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Overnight Parking for Daytona 500

If you mean one of the pasture parking lots off of Clyde Morris or Williamson, I'm pretty sure they make you leave or tow you.

Your best bet would be to visit the Daytona International Speedway website and look for parking rules or, call the ticket office and ask.

If you park In-field, I think you can purchase a spot to stay, even if it's a car and not an RV.

Charlotte
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Overnight Parking for Daytona 500

Gwennie - Thanks for the response. That is good to know that they will tow you from the pasture lots. In the past (at other tracks like Talladega) we have actually set up camp for a couple of days in the many free lots around the track and it made the weekend very easy. Sounds like that is not an option at Daytona. I expect we will see if we can do that at one of the "pay" lots around the track. I want to be able to go to the race on Saturday, have some beers, spend the night and then go to the 500 on Sunday. I don't want to have to deal with traffic twice, so that is why the overnight options is of interest to me. Thanks again for the info. -- Dan

Port Orange, Florida
Level Contributor
183 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Overnight Parking for Daytona 500

There are a lot of campgrounds in the Daytona area. You can probably do a search on here, even. Good luck and have fun at the races.

Florida
Level Contributor
1,356 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Overnight Parking for Daytona 500

There is a campground on Williamson and you see many people walking to the track from there. There is a parking area across from this campground and you could catch a ride on one of the buses that take you to the track. They would not let you park overnight. We use to get people that would park in the airport parking lot, come inside to wash and use the bathroom but the airport has put a stop to it. The sheriff deputy's patrol the parking lots so you would get busted.

Chicago
Level Contributor
1,454 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Overnight Parking for Daytona 500

Here is a page from the Daytona Beach Chamber of Commerce::

www.daytonachamber.com/member/index.cfm…

Looks like Finnish Line RV Park on Fentress and Racetrack RV on Coral Sea Way are both quite close to the track.

The only problem may be a higher nightly rate or all spots maybe taken, if so maybe one of the other camp sites listed may be an option.

Talking to friends who do Talladega -- there are few hotels near the track and most attendees do camp. I also understand that they have to bring in water and all food, liquor, ect.... Daytona is not that way. Stores nearby etc...

Renata

South Florida
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Overnight Parking for Daytona 500

We are looking to do the same thing, sort of. My hubby works until 2am on Feb 14th and we are driving up from Ft Lauderdale that night to be at the race on the 15th. Problem is, after the race on 2/15, we'll be too tired to drive to Ft Lauderdale so we wanted to sleep in our trailblazer.. I did that back in 1998 when i went to the race. We are scheduled to park in Lot 7. So it sounds like they will kick us out???

Savannah, Ga
Destination Expert
for Cherokee, Tybee Island
Level Contributor
1,449 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Overnight Parking for Daytona 500

It has been years but we us to go to Daytona for a few days for the races and sleep in the car. Now we id it a little different. We did not stay at the big track but each night we would either go to New Symra speedway or Volusia and watch the short track races. We would then stay in the car there. There was always a bunch or RV's and tent campers. We never had any problems.

Now since we where staying for 2 or 3 days we would rent a shower at a truck stop or find some friends who had a room to barrow a shower.

Have fun.

South Florida
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Overnight Parking for Daytona 500

Well we figure since its only one night, we don't care ya know? PLus if we drink beers, we obviously do not want to drive, PERIOD. So i guess we'll see what happens. As long as we have fun at the race, the rest will fall into place. If we have to drive and find a rest stop or something, then so be it.

Savannah, Ga
Destination Expert
for Cherokee, Tybee Island
Level Contributor
1,449 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Overnight Parking for Daytona 500

Have fun and be safe

10. Re: Overnight Parking for Daytona 500

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2009, 12:25
Get answers to your questions about Daytona Beach