We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Daytona 500 traffic questions

Rochester, NY
Level Contributor
191 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Daytona 500 traffic questions

My family and I are making our first trip to the Daytona 500 this year and I have several, mostly traffic related, questions. We’ll be staying in Orlando. With what we’ve read, we’re planning to leave Orlando at 6:00 a.m. The folks who gave us the tickets say the mall is the best place to park because it’s easy access to our seats in Oldfield.

My first question is… Do you agree with parking at the mall?

Question 2 … is the route that the speedway suggests I-4 > 44 > US-1 > S.R. 400 > Clyde Morris Blvd. the best way in the morning?

After the race is the big question. We’re not likely to leave before the race ends. We don’t want to sit on I-4 for hours back to Orlando so we were thinking of taking 92 to Deland, then 44 and other back roads from there. We don’t mind taking longer to drive, we just don’t want to sit on the highway. Does this sound like a good plan? Is there a better route? If we leave right after the race, will we make it to Deland on 92, or are we better off going to a restaurant for dinner and leaving an hour or two later? Aren’t all the nearby restaurants packed after the race?

Thank you for your advice and we are really looking forward to the race.

Metro Orlando
Destination Expert
for Daytona Beach
Level Contributor
4,230 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Daytona 500 traffic questions

I'll generally park at the mall, in the back. Getting there is easy. The hard part is getting out after the race. Traffic moves at a snails pace until you get to the first light. That'll typically take me a half an hour or so of tighly packed driving with everybody trying to cut in front of me.

For the trip over, US1 is a good route, but if you're leaving at 6 am, you might actually be able to take I-4 all the way up. I would guess that traffic would be light that early. I'll typically try to head over there at 10ish and have typically run into traffic as far back as Dirkson Road.

As to taking 92 after the races, that would probably not work. The second the checkered flag drops the cops will shut down all traffic on 92 near the speedway for 20 minutes or so. I got caught out there a few years back during one of the races leading up to the 500.

Lincolnshire, UK
Level Contributor
811 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Daytona 500 traffic questions

We usually and will be doing again this year parking in the Volusia Mall opposite the speedway costs $40.

Traffic is a nightmare after the race so we generally sit and wait a few hours for it to get better, some of the restuarants are packed but we got a table at the Waffle House not to far from the track after the race last year.

We too shall be leaving Orlando around 6am on race day to avoid the worst of the traffic.

Jackie x

Level Contributor
1,454 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Daytona 500 traffic questions

We always park at the boy scout lot at the airport.

The boy scouts run the lots and in 2008 it cost $25 for Saturday and $40 for Sunday.

The lots are off Midway and Richard Petty Drive, easy to cut thru Petty Drive or Midway to cut thru near Embry Riddle and end up at light at get out of the traffic at Clyde Morris.

You definitely want to stay off International Speedway Blvd...

We always hit Cancun Lagoon...

It's a tradition and we never have a problem getting a table, but we usually head directly to the restaurant....

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
357 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Daytona 500 traffic questions

hi all! mall parking is very convenient as it is right across the street but the street it is across is a large multi lane road so crossing it will be an adventure unless you walk down to the pedestrian over pass...the route you have is great for leaving the race as the others have said 92 (international speedway blvd) will be a cluster...i think you will be fine to take i-4 all the way to 92 to get to the race and take the other route back in hopes of avoiding a bit of traffic....have a blast!!!

Rochester, NY
Level Contributor
191 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Daytona 500 traffic questions

thank you everyone!

6. Re: Daytona 500 traffic questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2009, 16:18
Follow this conversation!
Get notified when a new reply comes in.
Follow now