We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can someone help me out here?

wv
1 post
Save Topic
Can someone help me out here?

Hello - New to the board

I have been to myrtle beach 27 times....every year since I was 6 (did I just tell my age?) I have finally talked my husband into taking us to Florida this year! Before we go - I have a few questions!

First of all, in searching for a hotel in Daytona Beach, I am not finding any hotels with more than a couple pools. At myrtle, we stay at a hotel that has over 15 pools and was wondering if anyone knew of a hotel that had more than just a couple. I like the ocean...but the rest of the wimps here like the pools!

Second of all, I have always wanted to sit on the beach and watch a sunset. At Myrtle...I can only see the sun rise over the ocean...but I really want to see it set! Do I have to drive to the gulf to see it? Can anyone tell me a good place to go for this in Florida that is within a couple hours driving from Daytona?

I am not dead set on staying in Daytona...I have young teens who like the "busy" "touristy" towns...and I pray that they aren't dissapointed - they want to go back to Myrtle but I am sooo holding my ground! So is Daytona going to be jam packed with things for teens to see and do? Are there a lot of putt putt places like Myrtle? Could someone just explain to me what Daytona is like maybe? LOL

We do plan on visiting Sea World and/or Universal Studios...but most of our time will be spent on the beach.

Thanks in advance for chatting with me. I hope that someone can kind of clue me in what it will be like in comparison to Myrtle Beach. It is a lot further drive to Florida for us than Myrtle...and I hope that my family won't kill me once we get there!

Metro Orlando
Destination Expert
for Daytona Beach
Level Contributor
4,125 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can someone help me out here?

Not that I get to hotels in Daytona much (at least recently), but it’s probably the exception to find a place with more than one pool, I’d expect two at the most. There are probably a couple of places in and around Disney that have a larger more ornate pool area/complex. Decent hotels in Daytona are generally bounded by a State Road A1A on one side, and the beach on the other. There’s not a lot of room in-between.

For Sunsets, if you want to see it from the beach and not the high floor of a condo or hotel, yes, you’d need to go to the Gulf. Clearwater/Tampa is probably the easiest to get to since you can take the interstate most of the way. There’s likely to be something directly across the state that’s technically closer, but those old two-lane Florida interior roads take longer and can be kind of stressful to drive on. If it doesn't need to be exactly the beach, my suggestion would be spending a night or two at the Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay (the one by the airport). They've got a restaurant with a deck on the bay that's got awsome sunset views.

For the busiest part of the Daytona beach, you’d probably want to stay at the Hilton or somewhere around it. One of those new places just North of it probably has a pool-deck with more to do though. They’re across the street from a small water park and arcade with go-cart track. And, there’s a small mall with movie theaters in the same general complex as the hotels. I don’t recall seeing a put-put course at the arcade or near-by, but there are one or two of those around too.

How busy the Daytona will be when you’re there probably depends on the week. I get the impression that Daytona is pretty slow these days outside of holiday weekends or special events. If it’s their first time there, the kids should find plenty to do for a week, or at least as much as elsewhere.

Florida
Level Contributor
715 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can someone help me out here?

With teens I would suggest Clearwater Beach over Daytona Beach. Lots of activities both on and off the beach. The hotels are nicer in this area. An since Clearwater Beach is on the west coast of Florida you will have beautiful sunsets every night. From Clearwater Beach to Orlando it is about a 1 1/2 hour drive. Not a bad drive, mostly major 3-4 lane highway.

Bedford, Indiana
Level Contributor
5,800 posts
294 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can someone help me out here?

Hard to see the sun set well from Daytona Beach area, but for fun with teens, DB is where you want to be. From the great beach with atv, golf cart, bicycle, sea doo rentals, parasailing, putt putt golf, to the go kart track north of the Daytona speedway with the drag race car simulators outdoors, there is so much to do in DB. We have been to Clearwater, ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzz.

Ponce Inlet lighthouse and maritime museum, Ocean Walk, pier, minor league baseball, Ritters frozen custard, Bubba Gumps, the water park across from Ocean Walk, and much, much more.

In a lot of ways, DB is very much like Myrtle Beach, minus the man or wars.......

Oh, and yes, there are several putt putt places, one has live gators in a pond out front you can feed.

Chicago
Level Contributor
1,454 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Can someone help me out here?

Ocean Walk has a lazy river and 4 outdoor pools along with 2 indoor pools - exercise room - arcade - childrn's activities...

About 2 blocks away is Daytona Lagoon -- a water park within walking distance.

4 Mini Golfs along A1A ( Atlantic Ave) which is the main drag--

Go Cart tracks - various arcades - souvenir shops - ice cream places etc...

Sunset.... I got some great sunset pics at a place called DJ's -- it is a seafood place at the Dunlawton Ave bridge -- great sunset location. Also -- on beach at inlet -- by light house -- I like to take pictures fromt he beach and get the lighthouse in the background...

The beach is beautiful and I strongly recommend visiting Lighthouse Point Park.....

Renata

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
672 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can someone help me out here?

Renata, I probably have those same sunset pics from DJ's and from the jetty - the sunsets at both of those places are absolutely amazing!

WVgal, we are like you - but we have been going to Daytona Beach for 20+ years! Our kids have grown up there - and they've always had more than enough fun stuff to do! There are putt-putt courses, shopping, a movie theater in the Ocean Walk complex, Main Steet Pier, parasailing, riding ATV's or bikes on the beach, going to Razzles (the local teen club which is always packed!!), touring the Ponce Inlet lighthouse, and so much more!! And not to mention all of the awesome food! I think they will totally enjoy it! Have a wonderful time!

6. Re: Can someone help me out here?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2009, 23:18