We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Daytona 500 2010

Which Daytona Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
St. Louis
Level Contributor
106 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Daytona 500 2010

We are going to daytona 500 for the first time. Staying in St. Augustine, flying into Jacksonville. Any good tips for race day, we are complete novices? Is fanzone deal good idea? Any tips appreciated. Thanks in advance

Kentucky
10 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Daytona 500 2010

One thing you will need to do it leave early to head to Daytona on raceday. With the start of the race being moved to earlier in the afternoon traffic will be bad early. As far as fanzone. It is a nice experience. Anyone that is a race fan should do at least once. But the cost on Sunday is $90 if purchased in advance. I would do the fan zone if I were you do that on Thursday, Friday or Saturday. Cost for those days is only $25 or $30. Sunday it will be packed over there and not a lot of time to see everything with the earlier start.

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
13,933 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Daytona 500 2010

I agree, get there very early. Parking gets full early too. Be prepared to pay to park. If you want to be able to return to your car during the day you will pay anywhere from 40 to 80 dollars. Last year we paid about 50 and were pretty close to the track in a parking lot of an auto parts store which let us in to use their very nice clean bathrooms. Otherwise you park in a field and ride a bus to the track. If you do park close take a cooler and some snacks. Saves you some money on the 5 to 7 dollar beers. We usally go early so we can walk around the trailers and displays and then take our purchases back to the car and hang out for a while. There are loads of people tailgating everywhere.

Purchase a silver or gold magic marker and have it handy along with either merchandise or a hat for autographs. Many of the drivers have limited amounts of autograph tickets at the merchandise trailers and a set time for doing autographs. I have not done the fan zone so not sure how easy autographs will be to get there.

We have done the pit tours and those have been great. However you have to wear long pants and tennis shoes for pit tours so we bring extra clothes to change into as its usually pretty warm during the day.

Have a great time and don't forget the sunscreen!

Savannah, Ga
Destination Expert
for Cherokee, Tybee Island
Level Contributor
1,407 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Daytona 500 2010

Are you going to be in Daytona on Saturday also? If you are then go to the Nationwide race on Saturday if you have not already planned to go. It is a 300 mile race and is usually very good. It is my favorite.

John

Topeka, Kansas
Level Contributor
18,510 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Daytona 500 2010

Our kids will be there, but I've never gone so can only think to add that the food and drink is expensive (just like other sports events like NFL, NBA, etc)

Chicago
Level Contributor
1,454 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Daytona 500 2010

We go every year, but looks like we may take a pass on 2010.

Is there a reason that you are staying in St Augustine?

It's just a far drive.

You can probably find reasonable accommodations nearer to Daytona.

We always do FanZone on Thursday .

This is where you walk under the track in turn 4 and enter into the infield.

Many folks stay here in their RVs -- so it becomes a small trailer park for a week.

There are drivers meeting thruout the day with their teams and with Nascar -- so you will see them walking around.

Usually they may sign an autograph or shake a hand or 2, but usually do not see them hanging out with fans. You will get a really good look at the cars and the race judges are usually inspecting the cars and the pit crews are out at the inspections....

My son (the mechanic) loves this part....

There may be live music, and of course, food and beer.

You can also climb up to look out at the track from a different vantage point.

It's worth the $20 - $30 to me on those days to check out the car end...

Last year was unlike any other year....

There were more open seats, we left at 12Noon and had no problem getting in to park -- we always park at the Boy Scout lot....no problems $40.00 last year.

Renata

St. Louis
Level Contributor
106 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Daytona 500 2010

Thanks for the info. We are staying in St. Augustine because my husband vacationed there as a child and he hasn't been there in years. Also we are only going for a long weekend Fri.- Mon. and was hard to find hotels in Daytona for 3 nights only. Do you know the location of the boy scout parking lot?

Thank You

Chicago
Level Contributor
1,454 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Daytona 500 2010

Along Richard Petty Blvd......near the track.

We come up Clyde Morris and turn into Embry Riddle on Richard Petty Blvd.... you should not have any problems finding a spot....

I believe that we have parked on Coral Sea Ave too....

They usually set up a breakfast buffet at Olive Garden and also at the Mexican Restaurant next door.....

Bob Evans is a short walk.....

Renata

St. Louis
Level Contributor
106 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Daytona 500 2010

Thank you for all your information.

Lincolnshire, UK
Level Contributor
811 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Daytona 500 2010

We always park in the Volusia Mall.. last year we paid $40 a day, but i like it in there, just across from the track and we can go into the mall and use the toilets and eat at the food court etc .

We have fan zones passes for all the days.. i think for the week they cost us $125's each but this year kids get in for free so thats saved us $250's .

We like to be in the fanzone and spend ages in there, we have at one time or another seen most of the drivers walking about and managed to get a few autographs and the kids given lug nuts by the pit crew etc.. i also find it occupies the kids for a good few hours too.

Get there early.. we are stopping in Daytona again next year, but on days when we've travelled in we have left Orlando around 6am. Because we are there for the week we dont do all the displays etc on race day as we've already done them, but they are fun to look round.

This year we managed to get a 1 night stay at the Palm Plaza on the night before the 500.. i emailed loads of hotels and all said 3/5 day min stays but as it go closer to race week some hotels lowered the min night stays. I think its the Ramada across from the track.. they still had availability this year on raceday. (or rather the night before).

We normally take some food in .. mainly cause my 11 yr old is a fussy eater and a few bottles of coke.. but i dont think food and drink is too overpriced (well not compared to what i pay all the time in the UK !).

I can wait for the 500 !! x

10. Re: Daytona 500 2010

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 December 2009, 14:33