We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Main Street Pier Closed?

Ontario
Level Contributor
185 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Main Street Pier Closed?

I just happened to catch a story in the on-line version of the DB News-Journnal that says the Main Street Pier is closed for repairs and has been for some time, and will be until likely at least next summer. This is the first I heard of it. I know a lot of people think it's tacky, but I probably would have gone to check it out since I'm going to be there. Not a single mention anywhere on the DB Conv. and Visitor's site or anywhere else I've seen. I would have been really p'o'd if I'd dragged the family all the way over there, just to find it closed.

Anyway, enough rant, the question I have is that we planned on doing some pier fishing. Can anybody close to the scene tell me if traffic at Sunglow is massively greater because of this?

Chicago
Level Contributor
1,454 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Main Street Pier Closed?

Was open when I was there in October.

We will be there Friday and I can check it out.

There was some problem with current leasor not taking care of property as agreed and the city (owner) was contemplating cancelling the lease.

Repairs would be great -- extending the pier would be even better...

there is always SunGlow -- or the pier at Ponce Inlet....

Renata

Tavares, Florida
Destination Expert
for Daytona Beach
Level Contributor
6,126 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Main Street Pier Closed?

Yes, the OP is correct it is closed due to asbestos, it was in the News Journal as well as on Orlando TV stations.

news-journalonline.com/NewsJournalOnline/New…

Call Sunglow and ask about amount of people fishing:

http://www.sunglowpier.com/

You could always go down to Ponce Inlet and fish off the jetty there.

Florida
Level Contributor
795 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Main Street Pier Closed?

My son and a friend fished from SunGlow and Ponce Inlet this past weekend. It wasn't crowded at all but the weather wasn't good either so that may have been why.

Ontario
Level Contributor
185 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Main Street Pier Closed?

Thanks Gatorgurl

Did they catch anything?

Can you rent equipment and do you need a license at the Ponce Inlet jetty?

I know you can rent at Sunglow.

Loudonville, NY
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Main Street Pier Closed?

The Main Pier is closed temporarily; there are crews working there to remove asbestos which was found. Don't know when it is set to reopen.

Florida
Level Contributor
795 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Main Street Pier Closed?

Yes you can rent equipment and you do not need a license.

Florida
Level Contributor
795 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Main Street Pier Closed?

oh and i forgot to say they didn't catch anything.

Daytona...
Level Contributor
185 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Main Street Pier Closed?

You may also fish the Intracoastal Waterway from piers under the Dunlawton Bridge. On the Eastside of the bridge (under it) you can buy bait,fish,and have two restaurants (Our Deck Downunder & DJ's Deck) for libation and victuals. Going South on A1A turn right at Dunlawton and go under the bridge. Good location!

Ontario
Level Contributor
185 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Main Street Pier Closed?

Thanks again all. We are actually in Daytona now and will likely go fishing today. I think we'll try Sunglow because it's the closest to where we are staying, and with the weather being cold, don't know how much fishing the family will want to do.

10. Re: Main Street Pier Closed?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2010, 05:16