We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Difference between Daytona Beach & South Daytona

Painesville, Ohio
Level Contributor
93 posts
Save Topic
Difference between Daytona Beach & South Daytona

Hello all, think we have decided on Daytona for vacation June 2011, last time we were there was 2002 so I know alot has changed. But first question I have is, what is the difference between Daytona Beach & South Daytona? I never realized there was but since I've started researching places to stay this has come up. So I think this is the first thing I need to start with.

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
9,023 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Difference between Daytona Beach & South Daytona

The City of Daytona Beach includes the central area of the barrier island--Main Street, Peabody Auditorium, Ocean Center, the row of big hotels on the Boardwalk, the main Pier.

The central area suffered a fair amount of damage from the 2004 hurricanes (3 of them), mostly due to aging buildings. Most of the old small motels are gone. The real estate boom led to many older hotels being bought up, to continue for a while as hotels, then be replaced by new condos/timeshares. There's now a fair number of hotels in some difficulty, and a fair number of empty lots (this applies to Daytona Beach Shores, too). The City of Daytona Beach, including large areas on the mainland, has difficulties with low real estate values and low home ownership.

The Main Street area, apart from motorbike shops, has the Bank Club (music) and a fair number of bars and pizza places. I think an oceanfront multi-story retail and movie venue at the Boardwalk went bust, but I can't easily check (help, please!)

Daytona Beach Shores has an immense, affluent condo/townhouse development toward its northern end. Atlantis or something similar. It is otherwise a community of oceanfront condos and hotels, and fairly modest but well-tended single family homes.

Daytona Beach Shores has a very nice Publix supermarket with a drug store next to it, but is otherwise somewhat short on restaurants and retail. Highway A1A is usually not terribly busy in the Shores, making getting in and out of hotels reasonably easy.

Ormond Beach, north of Daytona Beach, is relatively affluent, with well-tended shopping centers and chain restaurants, e.g. Olive Garden.

The beach is all operated by the county government. Despite sex scandals among the Beach Patrol (see the News-Journal newspaper), the beaches are well-run. You may prefer to stay at an area without motor vehicles on the beach.

http://www.volusia.org/beach/

The News-Journal also has a crime map. Bear in mind that the central beach area has a greater density of people than the Shores or Ormond. You can see a similar pattern for crime maps provided by the Oregonian newspaper for Portland--there's lots of people downtown, so a proportionate number of crimes.

http://www.news-journalonline.com/murder/

Edited: 05 December 2010, 18:58
Mentioned in this post
Peabody Auditorium
Peabody Auditorium
76 Reviews
Daytona Beach, FL
Ocean Center
Ocean Center
97 Reviews
Daytona Beach, FL
The Shores Resort & Spa
The Shores Resort & Spa
1,515 Reviews
Daytona Beach Shores, FL
Daytona Beach...
Level Contributor
689 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Difference between Daytona Beach & South Daytona

Daytona Beach is the central city, surrounded by a cluster of smaller cities (suburbs?). South Daytona is to the south of Daytona Beach, it is very small and located entirely on the mainland (there is no beach in South Daytona).

Hope that helps.

Mentioned in this post
Painesville
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Difference between Daytona Beach & South Daytona

Thanks for the information, that's a good start.

Are there any areas that homes or cottages on the ocean are rented out or is everything on the water condos, although I guess it really doesnt matter as long as it is clean and decent, but just want to see if I have options.

Looking through the photos there were some of the marina, can you tell me where about that is located and if there are any places to stay around there, and what about Ponce Inlet, I know where that is located but do you think there are places there to stay also?

DAB
Level Contributor
202 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Difference between Daytona Beach & South Daytona

"Daytona Beach Shores has a very nice Publix supermarket "

But the stores on the mainland don't have the ripoff toor'ist prices.

:-O

Mentioned in this post
Tavares, Florida
Destination Expert
for Daytona Beach
Level Contributor
6,126 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Difference between Daytona Beach & South Daytona

Most of Ponce Inlet rentals are monthly condos however doing a search you can find some who will rent shorter terms. Looking on vrbo.com is a good start. there are a few home rentals, most homes will not be oceanfront.

We have rented in the Ormond, Daytona Beach Shores and the Ponce Inlet area and have enjoyed them all. Ormond is a non drive beach as is most of Ponce Inlet if that makes a difference. You can also find places in many price ranges.

The main changes from 2002 is many places were damaged by hurricanes and have never recovered, a couple of newer condos have gone up, some restaurants have closed, the beach is still great. Not sure of any places to rent around any marina, I think ocean front is the way to go!

Mentioned in this post
Painesville
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Difference between Daytona Beach & South Daytona

Thanks teachrsue,

We've rented several times from vrbo and i've been looking on there, I have read on here that the pier is under construction and being rebuilt, is it complete now or still in progress? What about Crabby Joes? Is it still on the pier or was it moved and is it still open?? I love that place, still wear my t-shirt from there!!!

Tavares, Florida
Destination Expert
for Daytona Beach
Level Contributor
6,126 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Difference between Daytona Beach & South Daytona

Crabby Joes on Sunglow Pier is still open. It is my understanding the Main Street pier is not completed, but I am not certain. If you like the area around Sunglow pier, look at condos on vrbo for White Surf, I think they do weekly rentals and the property is well kept. Since this is a condo there won't be the amenties of a hotel however for a condo the location is very good IMO. You can walk to the restaurants under the Port Orange bridge and Aunt Catfish is just across the bridge.

Mentioned in this post
Painesville, Ohio
Level Contributor
93 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Difference between Daytona Beach & South Daytona

Thanks, i will check for that area, we're fine with a condo and this seems a good place to start. As long as we have a pool and ocean view we are happy.

I had forgot all about Aunt Catfish, how could I do such a thing!

Tavares, Florida
Destination Expert
for Daytona Beach
Level Contributor
6,126 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Difference between Daytona Beach & South Daytona

You're welcome, all the condos in White Surf are oceanfront as well as an oceanfront pool. We rented a condo next door at Surfside Club ( only rents montly) and I could see the pool and grounds of White Surf. Pirates Cove is all remodeled now and looks nice from the outside it is a condotel type place it is in the same area.

Mentioned in this post
Surfside Beach
Surfside Beach
Coastal South Carolina, SC
Pirates Cove
Pirates Cove
73 Reviews
Daytona Beach Shores, FL
centerburg, ohio
Destination Expert
for Daytona Beach
Level Contributor
933 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Difference between Daytona Beach & South Daytona

As another posted, South Daytona is an area on the mainland only.

The Daytona Beach area has a wide array of options, from regular hotel rooms to suites to homes. Utilize this website as well as websites for privately owned properties such as vacationrentals.com, vacationhomes.com, vrbo.com, etc. There are oceanfront homes for rent as well as condos. The area of Ponce Inlet is the same. There are many condos for ent there as there were several large developments built as well as older ones that are quite nice. There is also the area south of Dunlawton bridge called Wilbur by the Sea that is nice.

The Ocean Walk is open and doing well and the downtown area continues to be the main area for attractions, restaurants, theatre, etc.

You have plenty of time to do your research and I know you will find something quite nice to fit your needs.

Mentioned in this post