We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Casual Restaurant Recommendations

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
4,004 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Casual Restaurant Recommendations

As part of our vacation, we’ll be visiting the Daytona Speedway one morning and then eventually making our way to Cocoa Beach for the night.

When we travel we enjoy trying good “local” restaurants, rather than typical chain restaurants. I am looking for recommendations for a good local lunch or early dinner restaurant that could be anywhere between Daytona and Cocoa Beach. The restaurant doesn’t need to be “cheap” but we are looking for more casual dining options as opposed to fine dining. We’re open to anything from a “Diners, Drive-In’s and Dives” type place to a casual grill restaurant.

Tavares, Florida
Destination Expert
for Daytona Beach
Level Contributor
6,126 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Casual Restaurant Recommendations

If you travel US 1 on to New Smyrna Beach there is a diner type place known as Pappa's, typical diner fare inexpensive. If you go on to Titusville either by taking US 1 or 95, get off at 406 or Garden Street and there is Dixie Crossroads, more expensive and great rock shrimp if you have never had them, worth a try.

http://dixiecrossroads.com/

In downtown Titusville, the Chocolat Cafe is a cute little place with sandwiches, salads and good desserts.

Also on US 1 there is a place in Titusville called Dogs R US....bar/pub style food, not bad, some good lunch specials.

Google all places for maps and some have websites with menus. Happy Eating!!!

Metro Orlando
Destination Expert
for Daytona Beach
Level Contributor
4,161 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Casual Restaurant Recommendations

Aunt Catfish's is another place. It's in Port Orange, which is immediately South of Daytona.

Personally I love Inlet Harbor in Ponce Inlet, but it would be out of the way for you because you'd need to drive down there and then double back to get off the barrier island. I also really love Light House Landing. It's got a great view, but again is out of the way (and their service tends to be pretty awful).

There's a restaurant building on the grounds of New Smyrna Airport next to US1 that looks really really cool too. But, I'm not sure if it's occupied right now or by what kind of a restaurant.

Moline, Illinois
Level Contributor
360 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Casual Restaurant Recommendations

We like Our Deck Down Under which is in Port Orange under the Dunlawton Bridge. Also Crabby Joe's on the Sunglow Pier in Daytona is a fun place to go. Good food and usually some good waves to watch (and feel since the restaurant is on the pier).

The other casual restaurants we have gone to with our group is Boondocks which is also in Port Orange, Ocean Deck in Daytona or Carribean Jack's in Daytona. We've had good experiences at all of them. You can check reviews and locations on all of them here on TA.

centerburg, ohio
Destination Expert
for Daytona Beach
Level Contributor
931 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Casual Restaurant Recommendations

In New Smyrna try great seafood shoppe with some picnic tables inside is Oceans Seafood. If you want an out of the way place (call to check hours) a fish camp in Oak Hill is JB Fish Camp. This was owned by Larry Csonka in the past. Is grandfathered in as a carry in so bring your own beverage (check on this also). Read about at www.jbsfishcamp.com

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
4,004 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Casual Restaurant Recommendations

Thanks everyone, will be sure to look into these suggestions.

I posted on the Cocoa Beach forum as well and had recommendations for the Rock Shrimp at Dixie Crossroads as well.

Are rock shrimp similar or the same as rock lobster?

centerburg, ohio
Destination Expert
for Daytona Beach
Level Contributor
931 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Casual Restaurant Recommendations

don't know but they are hard shelled and served opened up and measure about 2" tall and 2" wide. Very tasty and they do taste a lot of lobster. Dixie Crossroads is worth a visit. They have very nice murals on the outside of their buildings, outdoor bar also, with a pond between the buildings.

Ohio
Level Contributor
97 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Casual Restaurant Recommendations

If you are a Dale Earnhardt Sr fan, check out First Turn on US 1 in Port Orange. The food is good and the place is full of Nascar pictures. Dale himself used to hang out there.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
4,004 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Casual Restaurant Recommendations

Thanks for that suggestion. I'm not a big Nascar fan but my father, who we're travelling with is! He is older and might get a kick out of it.

9. Re: Casual Restaurant Recommendations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 12:19
Get answers to your questions about Daytona Beach