We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

family vacation

Assumption, Illinois
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
family vacation

My husband 3 kids (16,14 & 12), and I are planning a vacation to Orlando for a few days and Daytona Beach a few days in July. Looking for reasonable on the beach place to stay. Is this a good place to bring kids?

franklin, TN
Level Contributor
91 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: family vacation

hi --

last spring i stayed for a week at the islander in new smyrna beach, which is just south of daytona beach. the islander is right on the beach, altho the tide comes all the way up to the seawall at high tide. the rest of the time, tho, there is plenty of room on the beach for "whatever."

the islander is a timeshare place, but i think they also rent to non-timeshare vacationers. one advantage there is that the units have partial or full kitchens, depending on the unit, so you wouldn't have to eat out all of the time if you didn't want to.

wherever you stay -- daytona beach or new smyrna beach -- be sure to check that the place and its beach have recovered from hurricane damage.

-- susie margaret

Ottawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,382 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: family vacation

Hey Work5, Daytona Beach has many great hotels on the beach that are great for kids

The Ocean Walk has plenty of options for kids, with pool etc.

The Sun Viking is one, it has a indoor pool with a water slide.

I reccomend those two first after that there is the

Bahama House

Casa Del Mar which is a time share.

Hope I Could Help

Orlando
Level Contributor
463 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: family vacation

Just something you might want to keep in mind for Daytona in July. You will probably want to make sure you make the Daytona part of your trip after July 3rd. There is a NASCAR race there the 1st weekend, which translates to....no vacant hotel rooms to be found or if you are lucky enought to find one, the prices will be extremely high.

Have fun!!!

Chicago
Level Contributor
1,454 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: family vacation

You have older children, NSB is nice, but it is a sleepy little town and the children will find more to do in Daytona.

I would recommend Daytona---you are closer to the action and activities...

daytona-vacation-rental.com/daytona-beach-ar…

Renata

Mesa AZ
Level Contributor
19 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: family vacation

I went to both Orlando and Daytona last week on vacation. I stayed at Comfort Inn Suites (Maingate East, make sure this is the one you choose). It was great well kept and had a great breakfast buffet. Cost for our room for six was just over $100 a night and it included the buffet for everyone. It was great. In Daytona we stayed at the Daytona Beach Rengency. 2 bedroom was very new and spacious. Lots or activities for the kids as the boardwalk and pier are just down the beach. 2 of the best hotels I have stayed in.

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
1 post
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: family vacation

It looks like your posting for me! My husband and 3 kids (15, 14 and 10) are also traveling to Orlando and Daytona at the end of July. At Daytona Beach, there's no better place than the Sun Viking! Officially, it is on Daytona Beach Shores, the admittedly quieter area of Daytona Beach. They have a 60-ft. water slide into the main pool, and an indoor pool that is in a sunroom just near the outdoor pool and beach. Perfect for getting out of the midday sun! There is a small snack bar near both pools as well where they serve breakfast and lunch. This is a family-oriented resort, not a fancy one with valet parking, full-service restaurants, etc. They have big, clean rooms that, most importantly, accommodate a family of 5 most comfortably! We have been here a half dozen times or more, and actually tweaked our vacation dates so that we could stay there! It's unprecedented!

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
672 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: family vacation

My family has a time-share at the Daytona Beach Regency, and I agree, it is wonderful! It was completely renovated after last year's hurricanes, and it is in wonderful condition. The staff is always excellent and courteous, and the location can't be beat. You can park your car in their underground parking and walk almost everywhere! The pool area and Tiki bar have also been updated, and there are always plenty of chairs - also, our pool area stays in the sun until at least 6:00, unlike the Ocean Walk next door, which is in the shade by about 1:00 pm! I think prices are real reasonable - just give them a call, you won't be disappointed!

Mansfield, OH
Level Contributor
62 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: family vacation

We just stayed at Sun Viking Lodge and it was great. A great family place right on the beach. There is 2 pools - indoor and outdoor. The pool outdoors has a 60 foot water slide. The hotel staff is great. The rooms were cleaned daily and they kept our towels, soap, shampoo supplied for the 6 days we were there. They have recreational activities...my 14 year old son enjoyed playing basketball, football toss, etc. I would definitely look into this place if you haven't already. visit their website: www.sunviking.com

9. Re: family vacation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2009, 02:19
Get answers to your questions about Daytona Beach
Recent Conversations